Fazer 1000 intermitent engine fade/dying

ken60
This post is 5094 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good advice required please. Recently bought a 2006 Fazer 1000 - which I adore and which runs sweet but has an increasing problem developing. It will suddenly want to die causing it to momentarily fade and pick-up again, and will do this for some time. A dianostic fault code appears, reference to which states: 'the atmospheric pressure sensor voltage and the intake air pressure sensor voltage differ greatly'.

Can anyone please give me a clue what this might actually mean and how to rectify the troubling problem. I have to travel across Spain in a couple of weeks.

I am mechanically fairly adept, but a real numty when it comes to electronics.

Thanks club members.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What it is saying is that the MAP sensor which looks at manifold pressure and the air pressure sensor are giving differing readings.

The map sensor is continuously variable and sees everything from a vacuum at closed throttle, to atmospheric at WOT (as there is nothing to stop the air 'dropping' in).

The atmospheric sensor looks at the ambient air pressure and compensates the fuel injection when at high altitude etc, where there is a pressure variation.

My guess would be that one of these sensors is failing, but what you need to do is find out what kind of reading they give at atmospheric and run a diagnostic.

I know with my XJ6 i can see from the diagnostic what pressure the intake is reading without the engine running (mine only has the one sensor), something like 101KPa or 1010mBar is the norm.

of course it could be a dodgy connection, though i do think Yam's electrical connectors are of a fine quality.

What it is saying is that the MAP sensor which looks at manifold pressure and the air pressure sensor are giving differing readings.

The map sensor is continuously variable and sees everything from a vacuum at closed throttle, to atmospheric at WOT (as there is nothing to stop the air 'dropping' in).

The atmospheric sensor looks at the ambient air pressure and compensates the fuel injection when at high altitude etc, where there is a pressure variation.

My guess would be that one of these sensors is failing, but what you need to do is find out what kind of reading they give at atmospheric and run a diagnostic.

I know with my XJ6 i can see from the diagnostic what pressure the intake is reading without the engine running (mine only has the one sensor), something like 101KPa or 1010mBar is the norm.

of course it could be a dodgy connection, though i do think Yam's electrical connectors are of a fine quality.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online