newbie with xs250 problems - need help

Pork Chop
This post is 4327 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got my first bike, it is an '81 xs250. It needs some TLC and I have only ridden it to Bondi and back a couple of times but I am really enjoying it already. I plan on fixing it up while it is still on the road and I am on a really tight budget so I guess the build is going to take some time.

I have replaced the throttle cable, rubber inlets and mildly cleaned the carbies and now it starts and runs kind of OK but I need some help with some problems.

1. left hand spark plug fouls after about 1 minute of running - black and powdery. As the left hand carby leaks fuel if I leave it on the side stand, could this be a carby problem and any suggestions on how to fix it? How do I check the coils to see if they are the problem? Will iridium plugs help this?

2. I think I have BS32 carby's, how do I confirm this and will the jets for a BS34 fit? I have fitted Unifilter pod filters (the original air filters were shot) and short reverse cone mufflers and I am wondering if anyone can suggest some jet sizes I should get for testing?

3. The clutch engages almost all the way out. I have replaced the oil and adjusted the clutch as per but it doesn't fix it so I guess I need new clutch plates. Also, when the bike is in gear and the clutch is all the way in the bike will not roll backwards and I have to put it in neutral to roll backwards which is a bit of a pain when parking. Does this indicate that the clutch needs replacing or something else.?

4. The front suspension is really spongy and will replacing the fork oil help to reduce this. I have been quoted $200 for new springs but want to know if new oil could help.

5. The starter motor does not work and just makes a ticking sound. This doesn't bother me as it kick starts in 3-4 tries when cold and first kick when hot. Can I just remove the starter motor and wiring for it or will that mess up something?

I will post some pics when I charge my camera.

Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I got my first bike, it is an '81 xs250. It needs some TLC and I have only ridden it to Bondi and back a couple of times but I am really enjoying it already. I plan on fixing it up while it is still on the road and I am on a really tight budget so I guess the build is going to take some time.

I have replaced the throttle cable, rubber inlets and mildly cleaned the carbies and now it starts and runs kind of OK but I need some help with some problems.

1. left hand spark plug fouls after about 1 minute of running - black and powdery. As the left hand carby leaks fuel if I leave it on the side stand, could this be a carby problem and any suggestions on how to fix it? How do I check the coils to see if they are the problem? Will iridium plugs help this?

2. I think I have BS32 carby's, how do I confirm this and will the jets for a BS34 fit? I have fitted Unifilter pod filters (the original air filters were shot) and short reverse cone mufflers and I am wondering if anyone can suggest some jet sizes I should get for testing?

3. The clutch engages almost all the way out. I have replaced the oil and adjusted the clutch as per but it doesn't fix it so I guess I need new clutch plates. Also, when the bike is in gear and the clutch is all the way in the bike will not roll backwards and I have to put it in neutral to roll backwards which is a bit of a pain when parking. Does this indicate that the clutch needs replacing or something else.?

4. The front suspension is really spongy and will replacing the fork oil help to reduce this. I have been quoted $200 for new springs but want to know if new oil could help.

5. The starter motor does not work and just makes a ticking sound. This doesn't bother me as it kick starts in 3-4 tries when cold and first kick when hot. Can I just remove the starter motor and wiring for it or will that mess up something?

I will post some pics when I charge my camera.

Cheers.

1. Your mixture is too rich, that's why you are getting the black powdery mess. Where is the carb leaking from?

2. You do have BS32 carbs, if the carbs are stock. Cannot help you with the jet issue, as I've had no experience with BS32 carbs. However, if I had to venture a guess, I would say the jets for the BS34 carbs would fit, but don't hold me to it.

3. I think your clutch issue is more a product of (a) you don't have it adjusted properly or (b.) you need a new clutch cable.

4. You will have to dismantle the forks to see the condition of your springs, if they are fine, then adding fork oil, assuming there is no leak, will fix the problem.

5. If you do not have a background in electrical wiring, I do not recommend removing the starter system and wiring. As you could easily screw it up and that will probably be a costly repair, if not monetarily then at least time consuming. Besides, having the system connected isn't hurting anything.

1. Your mixture is too rich, that's why you are getting the black powdery mess. Where is the carb leaking from?

2. You do have BS32 carbs, if the carbs are stock. Cannot help you with the jet issue, as I've had no experience with BS32 carbs. However, if I had to venture a guess, I would say the jets for the BS34 carbs would fit, but don't hold me to it.

3. I think your clutch issue is more a product of (a) you don't have it adjusted properly or (b.) you need a new clutch cable.

4. You will have to dismantle the forks to see the condition of your springs, if they are fine, then adding fork oil, assuming there is no leak, will fix the problem.

5. If you do not have a background in electrical wiring, I do not recommend removing the starter system and wiring. As you could easily screw it up and that will probably be a costly repair, if not monetarily then at least time consuming. Besides, having the system connected isn't hurting anything.

Thanks for the reply mate. the carby is leaking back into the filter - just a bit.

I will have more of a play with the clutch but I wouldn't be suprised if it needed a new clutch cable as the throttle cable was rubbish too.

I will have a look at the fork springs this weekend when I get the new tyres.

The starter is not a big issue, just don't use it so thought I should get rid of it.

Cheers, mate

Thanks for the reply mate. the carby is leaking back into the filter - just a bit.

I will have more of a play with the clutch but I wouldn't be suprised if it needed a new clutch cable as the throttle cable was rubbish too.

I will have a look at the fork springs this weekend when I get the new tyres.

The starter is not a big issue, just don't use it so thought I should get rid of it.

Cheers, mate

If it's leaking into the filter that means there is an issue with your float assembly. You will have to dismantle the carb to see exactly where the problem lies. However, the most common issue with that type of leak is that your float is set to high. You will need to measure the float height and adjust accordingly. If your float is set at the correct height, then the issue lies in the needle valve. Also, check to make sure your float is not punctured.

Good Luck.

• 2 years later...

Hi I have same bike with similar probs of flooding carbs which I have cleaned many times and adjusted floats heights but you say it may be the needle valve if everything else is set up correctly. BTW the manual says 26mm float height measured with carb upside down from top of gasket to top of float. My plugs are black so you I figure there is too much fuel getting thru and thats why it dies after a few minutes running. I can keep it going with choke off and open throttle right up for a while but it won't idle if I let it off.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online