1971 cs3b electrical problem

71yammy
This post is 5169 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought a 71 yammy 200 2-stroke today with 300 miles on a Rebuilt engine, tranny, new tires, brakes, electrical, wheels, ect. for 1100 dollars! I LOVE this bike It idles and runs great but The second I flick on the light/hit the brakes/turn on the blinkers it dies. I looked at the bike and I just ran a test the bike had 11.4 volts before start up while idling with no lights it had 11.0 with the headlight on it had 10.5 with the headligh and brake on it had 10.3 shouldnt it be around 13/14 volts with a good generator? The battery looks new so I think it has a bad generator/ regulator.

How can I test the regulator and stator?

Thanks

-Brian

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i cant help you with volts etc you will need a manual or wait for some kind soul with the same model.

i had the very same problem with my fzr, when i took of the regulator/rectifier it was quite obviously burnt out.

i got a new one off the net plunged it in, easy as that.if its not burnt then there is a simple test, it would explain it all in a haynes manual.

buying a manual pays for its self very quickly. chris

I ordered a clymers vintage 2 stroke manual, I had the battery tested today it was good. My thought its it has to be a bad regulator or stator. I reved it up with a multimeter hooked up it didnt read over 11 volts even at 4-5k RPMs. Tomorrow I will try to look at the regulator I figure its easier to get to than the stator.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online