Here is a video of my valves after adjustment.

johnsnownw
This post is 5038 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

did you measure when the bike was warm or cold, if the measurements you used are for a cold engine and you done them hot they will be to wide.

did you measure when the bike was warm or cold, if the measurements you used are for a cold engine and you done them hot they will be to wide.

Yup, they were done cold.

They sound a little loud to me, but microphones can be deceiving. Sounds louder on left than right. I always hear mine, but it sounds lighter than that and is almost gone at speed. What weight of oil are you using?

The first thing I would do is double check the measurements there are a lot of xs owners on here,and I am sure one will be able to help soon. But it does sound that they are gapped to wide. Does the bike get any quieter as it warms up?

The first thing I would do is double check the measurements there are a lot of xs owners on here,and I am sure one will be able to help soon. But it does sound that they are gapped to wide. Does the bike get any quieter as it warms up?

Nope, that is with the bike warmed up.

did you try to do the valves because they were noisy, or is this the result of adjusting them

did you try to do the valves because they were noisy, or is this the result of adjusting them

This is the result of adjusting them. I would have to say that I had to loosen them for it to be in spec.

thats as i thought, give me the exact model and year and i will ring yamaha tomorrow and get the measurements to confirm the ones you are using are correct.it doesnt take much of an over gap to sound like a bag of nails, your feeler gauge should slip through with a slight resistance.

thats as i thought, give me the exact model and year and i will ring yamaha tomorrow and get the measurements to confirm the ones you are using are correct.it doesnt take much of an over gap to sound like a bag of nails, your feeler gauge should slip through with a slight resistance.

Thank you for the offer, but I've been using a Haynes manual, and have set it to the lowest measurement.

.003 intake

.006 exhaust

does sound loud, could be wear in the adjusters causing wrong readings.

The adjuster ends hammers the top of the valve stem and it dishes, causing you to measure the crown of the depression but not the actual gap

drewps

does sound loud, could be wear in the adjusters causing wrong readings.

The adjuster ends hammers the top of the valve stem and it dishes, causing you to measure the crown of the depression but not the actual gap

drewps

What actions do you recommend, if wear is causing inaccurate measurements?

Thank you for the offer, but I've been using a Haynes manual, and have set it to the lowest measurement.

.003 intake

.006 exhaust

I've had a couple xs400's and don't recall the valves being that noisey(but, then, I sometimes forget what I've gone out to the garage for!), altho, as mentioned above, the microphone may accentuate the noise. I forgot how the valves are opened...thru a rocker arm from the cam in the head? Could the rocker arms &/or shfts be worn? You might try using a stethoscope (long screwdriver works!) or length of hose to listen to various areas around the engine to be sure noise is coming from the valves

does sound noisy,

could be that there is wear on the adjusters squewing the gaps (ie its dished, but your feelers are measuring the crown of the wear)

does sound noisy,

could be that there is wear on the adjusters squewing the gaps (ie its dished, but your feelers are measuring the crown of the wear)

LOL, isn't this the same thing you posted above? I was just wondering if purchasing new adjusters would give me better measurements, or if I should just try and tighten them a bit?

LOL, isn't this the same thing you posted above? I was just wondering if purchasing new adjusters would give me better measurements, or if I should just try and tighten them a bit?

bloody computer, the connections crap and I thought it didn't go through :rolleyes:

adjusters are cheap enough, I'd give it a go

bloody computer, the connections crap and I thought it didn't go through :rolleyes:

adjusters are cheap enough, I'd give it a go

I will do just that, thanks!

And done, just bought them. Is this going to be easy to do, as I can do it without taking the top part of the engine off?

yep, just don't drop them in there ;)

yep, just don't drop them in there ;)

You know, now I'm going to worry about that the whole time I'm working on them. It was bad enough when one of my feeler gauge tips snapped off, and it just happen to shoot out of the engine, instead of in.