Bike Theft - a disc lock is never enough

Mark K
This post is 5088 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Today I've received a recorded delivery letter, to come and collect my bike from a recovery centre after it's been abandoned/recovered, if I didn't it would be scrapped in 7 days. This seemed a little odd to me as the bike was stolen a month ago.

It was stolen from my driveway, on a quiet cul-de-sac, with a camera on it, and a disc lock on the front wheel. Clearly not enough so it's replacement now has an alarm and anchored chain through the rear wheel as well.

The video of the theft, under a minute.

Rather than contact the recovery company on getting this letter, I contacted the police first to tell them the recovery company had it.

Apparently it was involved in a RTC (road traffic collision) on Monday 19th on a road about 5 miles from here, the rider fled from the scene. They police were aware it was stolen and recovered his flip flop (good biker gear!) that he'd lost when running away. They've sent it off to get DNA from it. They also contacted the recovery company to recover it. The lady on the phone was surprised however that they hadn't contacted me or the insurance company.

She asked me to find out the details from the recovery company and then contact my insurance, who gave me my settlement cheque last week. The recovery company informed me the bike had no numberplates, broken steering lock, no ignition, a bald rear tyre, and no side panels... should stick out like a sore thumb if it's been riding around on the public road!

Contacted the insurance company, they're going to sort everything out for me (well done Equity Red Star).

When the bike itself was stolen a month ago, they removed and replaced the front wheel with one they brought with them so they could steal it!. The front wheel was recovered at the scene, it had fingerprints all over it so the lady that did the fingerprinting was confident they had a good chance of getting the theives. I also have a video of them stealing it so they know roughly what they look like. They also spent a good chunk of that night chasing them riding on it but didn't actually catch them.

It's now a month later and nobody has been caught. Sometimes I wonder whether the police really care about these thefts, probably because even if they do catch the criminals they'll just end up getting a slap on the wrists and a few hours community service.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hope they catch the scum.

A word of warning, even a chain won't stop them. My DT125RE was stolen in March from the back of my house, behind a big gate chained to a huge concrete block. The chain was cut and left behind. :angry:

And a quick story on the police action, or lack off. Phoned them to report the theft of my pride and joy and they didn't even bother to come and examine the chain or check the local CCTV. Received the standard "there is nothing more we can do" letter a few weeks after. So insurance payed up, and i got another bike. Withing a week the tax disc was stolen from the new bike while i was in the local coop. So phoned the police to report it, and they asked if i wanted an officer to call round etc. As you can imagine i had a few choice words and questions as to why they would come out for a £15 tax disc, but not when the bike was taken, to which i got a load of bs about policy change etc :angry: .

To top that, 2-3 years ago, i lived across from an ex-police chief. One night somebody attempted to steal his rusty old landrover, and within minutes there were no less than 6 police cars/vans and a helicopter on the scene.

My conclusion, the police are a waste of time where theft is concerned, unless your a police chief or or famous c**t etc. :tantrum:.

Vez.

Hope they catch the scum.

A word of warning, even a chain won't stop them. My DT125RE was stolen in March from the back of my house, behind a big gate chained to a huge concrete block. The chain was cut and left behind.   :angry: 

And a quick story on the police action, or lack off. Phoned them to report the theft of my pride and joy and they didn't even bother to come and examine the chain or check the local CCTV. Received the standard "there is nothing more we can do" letter a few weeks after. So insurance payed up, and i got another bike. Withing a week the tax disc was stolen from the new bike while i was in the local coop. So phoned the police to report it, and they asked if i wanted an officer to call round etc. As you can imagine i had a few choice words and questions as to why they would come out for a £15 tax disc, but not when the bike was taken, to which i got a load of bs about policy change etc  :angry: .

To top that, 2-3 years ago, i lived across from an ex-police chief. One night somebody attempted to steal his rusty old landrover, and within minutes there were no less than 6 police cars/vans and a helicopter on the scene.

My conclusion, the police are a waste of time where theft is concerned, unless your a police chief or or famous c**t etc.   :tantrum:.

Vez.

thought you were a famous c**t, you are in my eyes anyway :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online