removing paint from cylinder

This post is 5183 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The 81 xs400 engine I have has a blackish rubbery? paint on the bottom cylinder block.

Its kinda peeling off at certain points. Whats best way to remove while still on the frame?

I saw some ideas on internet... JASCO Paint remover carefully painted on and then peel off with small wire brush.

I would get the tools to sandblast it, but just want to do a quick decent job with it still on there, doesnt need to be perfect/polished.

EDIT: well i tried it ... i got chemical splash goggles, good respirator, and chemical gloves. got a tin can from store and a small brush...

applied it on cylinder. waiting 15-20m and then got between fins with q-tips to wipe off bubbling paint chips and get it more dry (my steel detail brush was still too small to get in between fins unfortunately) ...

then used a tooth brush squished in there to get more chips once it was more dry. and then used low grit wetdry sandpaper taped to the blunt end of a butteryfly knife hehe to rub off any more still stuck to cylinder (probably could use other tools to do this, just used what i had in front of me :) ). Did this a couple times. the JASCO did a decent job.

I'll probably use a Caswell 'Razor' buff wheel to buff the leftovers (or buy a Dremel with 'abrasive sticks').

Note: when the instructions say to use a metal jar ... the tin paint cans u find in LOWES seem to have a lil grey paint covering inside of them too, so it breaks some of that down.

Seemed like it was coming off as I was using it lol.

and

Also I got an idea to use this JASCO stuff to get the ugly laquer on the side covers based on some similar threads i read ... i usually wetsanded that off annoyingly with a pretty low/hard grit like 280, and then worked up to acceptable higher grits then used my aluminum polishing kit/drill ... but the JASCO took most of it off in 15m and the rest in a 2nd application... then just used a higher grit 600-1000 and my aluminum polishing kit/drill.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online