79 xs 400

Joshkan
This post is 5071 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I inherited my dads 79 xs 400 its in great shape hasnt ran in 20+ years only has 5000 original miles my buddy and i are in the process of going through it we rebuilt carbs cleaned gas tank fixed this and that lilttle things but i am in need of a good seat for sure! other than that new tires and im ready to roll this is my first bike so not real sure how easy it will be to find original seat, i just want to keep everything original. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks josh

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I inherited my dads 79 xs 400 its in great shape hasnt ran in 20+ years only has 5000 original miles my buddy and i are in the process of going through it we rebuilt carbs cleaned gas tank fixed this and that lilttle things but i am in need of a good seat for sure! other than that new tires and im ready to roll this is my first bike so not real sure how easy it will be to find original seat, i just want to keep everything original. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks josh

Well, instead of trying to find a new seat, why not just have the seat re-upholstered. Or is re-upholstering too far removed from original?

I am assuming the base has rotted?

you may find a new seat at

speedsport (USA)

cmsnl (Dutch)

Govnors Bridge (UK)

other than that try german ebay as their stuff seems to last (i got mine from germany)

re upholstering is not to far from original its just gonna cost in the neighborhood of $150 my foam is really chewed up i just figured i could find a decent used seat for cheaper thanks for the info. im just kinda new with motorcycles as this is my first bike.

re upholstering is not to far from original its just gonna cost in the neighborhood of $150 my foam is really chewed up i just figured i could find a decent used seat for cheaper thanks for the info. im just kinda new with motorcycles as this is my first bike.

To get a nice looking seat you're going to have to shell out more than it costs to re-upholster. You can check out ebay to compare pricing. Good looking seats just aren't that cheap.

If you just need a seat cover, I will post a link to where a cover can be had. If you need more than that- eBay.

a link would b great i guess im gonna try to repair the foam myself

if the foam has gone , you can get new foam and cut it yourself and then get it upholstered.

RK leighton in UK does upholstery and I bet any general upholsterer worth their salt would be able to foam and recover!!

Here you go: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-XS400-E-F-78-79-SEAT-COVER-YPAL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27ab10bdc7QQitemZ170373725639QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_5855wt_952

It's on ebay, but it seems that's what this company uses as a sales website, so they always seem to be available.

Here you go: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-XS400-E-F-78-79-SEAT-COVER-YPAL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27ab10bdc7QQitemZ170373725639QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_5855wt_952

It's on ebay, but it seems that's what this company uses as a sales website, so they always seem to be available.

Like the looks of that alot, and price is nice! Not my post to be asking, pardwn, but they didn't appear to have for '78 2E which would really be '77.

To buy the seat alone, foam and cover, be nice for 77/782E.

Couldn't find the speedsport unless it's speedandsportinc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online