Weird clutch problem. Help?

iamzeplin
This post is 5175 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

I just bought a 94 xj600. It runs great, however sometimes when I'm riding and I pull the clutch in it doesn't disengage the engine; instead it revs the engine super high. I'm releasing the throttle so I know that isn't what is causing it.

I thought maybe adjusting the clutch cable would help but it hasn't. Any ideas on what could be causing this? It doesn't happen often, but it is becoming a real concern for me. Thanks for your help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello all,

I just bought a 94 xj600. It runs great, however sometimes when I'm riding and I pull the clutch in it doesn't disengage the engine; instead it revs the engine super high. I'm releasing the throttle so I know that isn't what is causing it.

I thought maybe adjusting the clutch cable would help but it hasn't. Any ideas on what could be causing this? It doesn't happen often, but it is becoming a real concern for me. Thanks for your help!

adjusting clutch didnt help me... I dunno if same issue as me.... I think it may be the gearbox/transmission on mine. I checked my plates and springs and they were still in limits. I had trouble getting out of nuetral sometimes, and there is a 'hidden' nuetral between 4th and 5th gears hehe (i would know since the engine reved super high since i had throttle on thinking im in gear, but I was in a 'nuetral state'). I am trying out a new engine now and will look inside the other engine to see if i can swap a better gearbox in it. May want to make sure have correct grade of oil to make it slightly smoother but i dont think that would b issue.

Im no expert, maybe drewpy can chime in tomorrow.

sounds like a carb issue.

pulling the clutch in then the engine revving could be either a sticking throttle cable or you have a weak mix. does the bike rev in neutral?

army; all xs400's have false neutrals some where, mine is between 5th and 6th :D

if you adjust the drive chain, it helps gear changing immensly

I was thinking it could be the throttle cable sticking too, just because it only happens once in a while. The bike does rev in neutral but it isn't as responsive as I feel it should be. I will take a look at the throttle cable tomorrow since it's my day off. And see if the carbs need cleaning maybe? Thank you guys, I will report back!

I was thinking it could be the throttle cable sticking too, just because it only happens once in a while. The bike does rev in neutral but it isn't as responsive as I feel it should be. I will take a look at the throttle cable tomorrow since it's my day off. And see if the carbs need cleaning maybe? Thank you guys, I will report back!

I had a similiar problem to this , the throttle cable was frayed on the inside of the rubber sleeve , and the metal from the cable was catching on the casing ... new throttle cable did the job :)

Hope this helps

Jordan

I had a similiar problem to this , the throttle cable was frayed on the inside of the rubber sleeve , and the metal from the cable was catching on the casing ... new throttle cable did the job :)

Hope this helps

Jordan

It actually was something very similar to this! The cable was kinda stuck inside the rubber and that's what was causing it. I'm very much relieved that it was something so simple! haha Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online