Yamaha Dragstar

Gst
This post is 4658 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a yamaha dragstar, which I recently bought used. I was trying to change the oil, but the drain plug is so tight, that I can't move it. It doesn't have a left hand thread does it?

There is a 19mm plug under the engine, which I assume is the plug. It won't budge, and before I do any damage, thought I would check.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi there and welcome to the forum ;)

the drain plug will be a little stiff but if you put an extension on the end of your handle say 3-4 foot then tap the end with a hammer that should give you the leverage you need to take it off.

(any metal tube will do)

and you want to turn it clockwise. (its a normal thread just upside down)

let us know how you get on

.Paul.

hi there and welcome to the forum ;)

the drain plug will be a little stiff but if you put an extension on the end of your handle say 3-4 foot then tap the end with a hammer that should give you the leverage you need to take it off.

(any metal tube will do)

let us know how you get on

.Paul.

No luck, I need to get a six point socket, before I round off the bolt. I am beginning to wonder if the previous owner ever changed the oil.

GST

No luck, I need to get a six point socket, before I round off the bolt. I am beginning to wonder if the previous owner ever changed the oil.

GST

More likely he did, and just tightened it too much. Mine, on the xs400, was stiff as well but I have a long handled ratchet that took are of that issue right quick.

No luck, I need to get a six point socket, before I round off the bolt.

Yes, you do.

Get one from Halfords.

Turning a normal bolt clockwise will tighten it.

As you look at the face, turn it anti-clockwise. Same as opening a Coke bottle.

Yes, you do.

Get one from Halfords.

Aye Taskmaster, you are spot on,

Gst,,,,turn a coke bottle upside-down and you will see that turning anti-clockwise will loosen it, same applies for your sump bolt.

yes but it is underneath the bike, so if you try and undo it stood up looking down on the bike then it will be clockwise to undo it, unless your underneath it, then it will be anti-clockwise. :)

but either way get a decent ratchet set on it to make sure you have a good contact on the bolt. plus with the ratchet set, you can just set it and not have to worry about direction lol :P tighty righty lefty loosey :P

yes but it is underneath the bike, so if you try and undo it stood up looking down on the bike then it will be clockwise to undo it, unless your underneath it, then it will be anti-clockwise. :)

tighty righty lefty loosey :P

Would we be in agreament that if he is stood at the right hand-side of the bike and he puts the socket on the bolt,,,, that it opens by turning it to the left (ie. backwards to the rear wheel) A good,,,,,glad thats all sorted out then. :P

Yes, you do.

Get one from Halfords.

Do halfords have branches in Bermuda?

Aye Taskmaster, you are spot on,

Gst,,,,turn a coke bottle upside-down and you will see that turning anti-clockwise will loosen it, same applies for your sump bolt.

Success, six point socket, and extension for the ratchet. I've owned a four stroke bike for seven years in this go round. In my younger days I always had a two-stroke.

Never had trouble changing the oil though.

Thanx for all the concern guys

GST

No Halfords. Mostly US chains, or a couple of mechanics outlets, with name brand tools. As I don't do a lot of work with the tools much, I went for the cheap one.

At the time of writing, he didn't have his location in his Profile.

Then again, half the people here still don't.

• 1 year later...

i had the same problem on my back. its not the nut / plug you are looking at that drains the oil. take one of the panels off one the side and there is a drainage plug . you cant see it without taking one of the side panels off

i had the same problem on my back. its not the nut / plug you are looking at that drains the oil. take one of the panels off one the side and there is a drainage plug . you cant see it without taking one of the side panels off

think you might be mistaken my friend :P the oil drain plug is situated under the bike and the hole leads to the oil sump.

if your sat on the bike it would be forward right, (but on the bottom of the engine)

cant think of the top of my head which bolt your referring too :blink: could you give me more details like which side of the engine (as your sat on the bike) or even which cover to take off?

there are quite a few bolts that have oil wells or that "poke" into the sump but are not actually a oil drain plug..... :unsure:

Errr, not sure what that is, but the drain plug is most definitely underneath the bike.

• 2 months later...

So, to repeat what I said. Stand on the LEFT side of the bike, facing toward the tank.

Crouch down and see the bolt UNDERNEATH the bike. The bolt faces out FROM the left side, ie toward you NOT down.

Put the socket on and turn it anti-clockwise. The bolt will undo and come out.