CT3 175 Runs Runs but then Doesn't

DaVinci856
This post is 4957 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As far as the tank, it shouldn't be a big problem. First, of course, you'd need to shut off the fuel and disconnect the fuel line from the carb with either the spring clip at the carb end or the petcock end. (Plan on buying a new rubber piece for the inside of that petcock, BTW. Mine leaked like a sieve because it had dried out). In general, if there is a rubber seal someplace, you'll probably be replacing it before you're done. I'll leave it at that for now and not spoil some of the surprises. Luckily, with the exception of the gas tank cap gasket, they're mostly pretty easy to get.

Anyway, then lift the seat and you'll see a rubber band that holds the rear of the tank down to the frame (or, in a lot of cases there was once one there, but it broke and was forgotten years ago). Once the band is off, just sort of wiggle the tank diagonally up toward the rear. There are two hollow rubber discs that are in slots between the tank and the frame that keep pressure on the tank to hold it in place. There are no real bolts or screws of any kind normally. It's just held in by rubber. Of course, it could certainly have hardened over the years, making it hard to move, but that's all there is.

As far as the fuel filter, I'm using one now, but don't recall the number off the top of my head - mostly because I still hate it. The darn thing is still way too big, but it works fine (which was a big step from most). I'll see if I can find a receipt or a box somewhere with the number, but I'm really still searching for something better.

Good Luck!

Well first and foremost, I want to thank you DaVinci for your help, the tank is off and so are the petcock and gas tank cap! Along with that is the broken gas cap gasket that fell apart in my hands as I was coming back to the computer to read your post on this part being hard to find, and now with 3 plus hours of hunting online for it I can attest to its unavailability! lol So you wouldnt happen to have a place to find this small yet necessary part in that wise memory of yours per chance? Tomorrow will allow for the degreasing and cleaning of the rust from the tank and hopefully this week will bring my ordered parts for the carb which is now in pieces in a box! Love the tear down but wish the memory was better, now where does this piece go???? lol

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are quite welcome. Happy to be of service. We all just trade information. There are certainly wiser heads here, but I may be able to fill in a few blanks just by virtue of experience. You'll probably find a few things as well that we can all use.

Definitely familiar with the "falling apart in my hands" situation with the gas cap! My situation was eerily similar. ;)

As far as the gas tank gasket, after searching myself, I have sadly found no source for a "real" one. I've seen several have used marine gaskets, and right now I have something just cobbled together while I continue my search for something better.

I do find it really strange that we can buy just about every rubber part on this bike but two that I've searched for - the gas cap seal and the rubber duct from the airbox to the carb. In that regard, here's something I learned there that may help you: The duct on mine had lost a lot of its flexibility since 1973. It was so stiff after so many years of sitting that it didn't want to fit correctly when I replaced the carb - it kept coming off of either the carb or the box when I tried replacing the carb after my soak and rebuild. I tried silicone spray to soften it, but with only limited success. After accepting that I couldn't replace it, I later learned that I could manage the stiffer duct much more easily by removing the exhaust pipe, which is held on by only one bolt under the seat (that feeds through a grommet that you might end up replacing) and a spring at the cylinder jug. The extra couple of minutes with the remove/install of the pipe is more than offset by not having the incredible frustration of trying to get that silly duct in place on BOTH the carb and the airbox. Being able to get at it from both sides makes it a couple minute install where I'm sure it's square on both the carb and the airbox rather than wondering if it's slightly off of one or the other after the manipulations.

You are quite welcome. Happy to be of service. We all just trade information. There are certainly wiser heads here, but I may be able to fill in a few blanks just by virtue of experience. You'll probably find a few things as well that we can all use.

Definitely familiar with the "falling apart in my hands" situation with the gas cap! My situation was eerily similar. ;)

As far as the gas tank gasket, after searching myself, I have sadly found no source for a "real" one. I've seen several have used marine gaskets, and right now I have something just cobbled together while I continue my search for something better.

I do find it really strange that we can buy just about every rubber part on this bike but two that I've searched for - the gas cap seal and the rubber duct from the airbox to the carb. In that regard, here's something I learned there that may help you: The duct on mine had lost a lot of its flexibility since 1973. It was so stiff after so many years of sitting that it didn't want to fit correctly when I replaced the carb - it kept coming off of either the carb or the box when I tried replacing the carb after my soak and rebuild. I tried silicone spray to soften it, but with only limited success. After accepting that I couldn't replace it, I later learned that I could manage the stiffer duct much more easily by removing the exhaust pipe, which is held on by only one bolt under the seat (that feeds through a grommet that you might end up replacing) and a spring at the cylinder jug. The extra couple of minutes with the remove/install of the pipe is more than offset by not having the incredible frustration of trying to get that silly duct in place on BOTH the carb and the airbox. Being able to get at it from both sides makes it a couple minute install where I'm sure it's square on both the carb and the airbox rather than wondering if it's slightly off of one or the other after the manipulations.

Well i figured i post a quick update, I am supposed to get my parts in tomorrow and then i can finish up the carb and then on Thursday i will be continuing with the gas tank. So far i have degreased the tank but am looking to build a gasket and metal piece to cover the petcock hole and find a suitable rubber cap with an adjustable band around it so its able to be used multiple times to cover the gas cap hole. I am also in the works trying to find another gas cap gasket and have some leads on gaskets from other Yamaha bikes being a suitable replacement but i figure it is going to be a trial and error procedure. Well I will post more tomorrow when the parts arrive!

Mostly for Goodfella, but maybe for others:

I may have found a place for gas cap gaskets.

I say "MAY" because I ordered one today, but can't say for sure until it shows up.

If it shows up, I'll forward the info for others (I crossed the part number to another bike and it seemed to work).

We'll see...

Oh, well, false alarm on getting a gas cap gasket...

Unfortunately, the web site www.langstonmotorsports.com said they had the gas cap gaskets for a CT3 (which is the same part number as for a DT2), but they called and emailed me today to say that they could not get them. I give them credit for contacting me promptly by two separate methods, but wish they had updated their web site before I got my hopes up. Back to searching for a perfect replacement...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online