TZR50 splutters after 7000rpm. Help!!!

tzr50 Mike
This post is 4988 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My tzr had a full engine rebuild a few months ago and has been running fine up until recently. An oil leak developed around a month ago and while trying to find time to fix the leak i have been topping up the 2 stroke as required. Around 2 weeks ago the bike suddenly started Stuttering at around 7000-8000rpm and from 9000-10000rpm. This was tolerable at first but has became gradually worse to the point where the bike is borderline unrideable. Any suggestions on the cause and how to rectify the problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My tzr had a full engine rebuild a few months ago and has been running fine up until recently. An oil leak developed around a month ago and while trying to find time to fix the leak i have been topping up the 2 stroke as required. Around 2 weeks ago the bike suddenly started Stuttering at around 7000-8000rpm and from 9000-10000rpm. This was tolerable at first but has became gradually worse to the point where the bike is borderline unrideable. Any suggestions on the cause and how to rectify the problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Said this alot of times, you will probably get a better response if you introduce yourself properly and don't just join expect help then leave. Its a community and not just a garage/bike shop/advice center! Personally i wont reply to post like yours on principle! Others may.

Sorry to be harsh. But i value my time.

Vez.

Said this alot of times, you will probably get a better response if you introduce yourself properly and don't just join expect help then leave. Its a community and not just a garage/bike shop/advice center! Personally i wont reply to post like yours on principle! Others may.

Vez.

Hi Vez, I'm sorry that it has come across this way. I just thought that maybe someone could give me some advice. My name is mike and i'm from carluke, scotland. I'm new to the whole biking scene and my knowledge of problems such as this is dangerous. Any help would be much appreciated and i'm sorry if it appears that i'm just on here to get advice and then disappear. I'm just wary of posting any advice etc in other topics as my experience is nil.

Mike

Vez.

Vez, for fuck sake,its not the end of the world

Vez, for fuck sake,its not the end of the world

No it isn't.

I saw two choices, 1 ignore the post ( like happens alot) and chance letting it go unanswered or 2 say something and give the new guy a point in the right direction.

I was in a good mood so decided to explain MY opinion on how he may get some help here. I thinks its called constructive criticism. If you don't like it, then meh, thats your opinion and your entitled to it as i am mine.

Hi Vez, I'm sorry that it has come across this way. I just thought that maybe someone could give me some advice. My name is mike and i'm from carluke, scotland. I'm new to the whole biking scene and my knowledge of problems such as this is dangerous. Any help would be much appreciated and i'm sorry if it appears that i'm just on here to get advice and then disappear. I'm just wary of posting any advice etc in other topics as my experience is nil.

Mike

No problem Mike. Welcome to the Forum.

You say it has had an engine rebuild recently, was it done by a garage? and if so is there a chance the work is still under warranty? 

Failing that it may be an idea to check your filters (fuel and air), check the engine oil level and check the condition of the spark plug.

Does the bike run OK in between 8000rpm and 9000rpm?

When you say there is an oil leak, where is the oil leaking from? it may not be related but it could possibly help to understand what could be wrong.

At this point im thinking maybe its an electrical fault, but thats clutching at straws without knowing more about the condition of things.

Pictures or even a video of the problem may help to get a better idea.

HTH

Vez.

No problem Mike. Welcome to the Forum.

You say it has had an engine rebuild recently, was it done by a garage? and if so is there a chance the work is still under warranty? 

Failing that it may be an idea to check your filters (fuel and air), check the engine oil level and check the condition of the spark plug.

Does the bike run OK in between 8000rpm and 9000rpm?

When you say there is an oil leak, where is the oil leaking from? it may not be related but it could possibly help to understand what could be wrong.

At this point im thinking maybe its an electrical fault, but thats clutching at straws without knowing more about the condition of things.

Pictures or even a video of the problem may help to get a better idea.

HTH

Vez.

The rebuild was done by a friend who has extensive knowledge of rebuilding engines. I have asked him about this problem and he advised me to see if there were any riders with similar problems online as his knowledge of 2 strokes was not so good.

The bike runs fine between 8000-9000rpm and was fine beween 8000-10000rpm when the problem initially surfaced a few weeks ago, the "barrier" at 9000rpm has become gradually worse since then.

The oil leak is coming from the oil pump as far as i can see and i've been advised by the previous owner to remove the pump and check it as an o-ring may be in need of replacement as he had the same problem with oil dripping(not spluttering)

Not sure where the filters are, If you could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

As to pictures or a video, i'm not sure how i would do this as the stuttering does not happen so much in neutral or with the clutch pulled in but only when the bike is running in gear, so i'm not sure how to do a video while riding. I'll try and find a way and try and get a video up ASAP.

Also i think the engine may be overheating but as my knowledge of bikes is quite small, i'm not sure.

Thanks, Mike

The rebuild was done by a friend who has extensive knowledge of rebuilding engines. I have asked him about this problem and he advised me to see if there were any riders with similar problems online as his knowledge of 2 strokes was not so good.

The bike runs fine between 8000-9000rpm and was fine beween 8000-10000rpm when the problem initially surfaced a few weeks ago, the "barrier" at 9000rpm has become gradually worse since then.

The oil leak is coming from the oil pump as far as i can see and i've been advised by the previous owner to remove the pump and check it as an o-ring may be in need of replacement as he had the same problem with oil dripping(not spluttering)

Not sure where the filters are, If you could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

As to pictures or a video, i'm not sure how i would do this as the stuttering does not happen so much in neutral or with the clutch pulled in but only when the bike is running in gear, so i'm not sure how to do a video while riding. I'll try and find a way and try and get a video up ASAP.

Also i think the engine may be overheating but as my knowledge of bikes is quite small, i'm not sure.

Thanks, Mike

If the bike is over heating, the warning light on the far left side of the clocks would light up telling you so, is this the case?

I would get the oil pump fixed as it may be causing a lack of lubrication to the piston/crank and will lead to damaging the engine if left for too long.

It is strange that the bike is ok in between 8000-9000rpm.

The air filter is under the seat. I'm not sure where the fuel filters are. They may be part of the fuel tap on the tank, or even inside the tank its self on the other side of the tap, you may want to inspect the tap.

The spark plug will give a good indication as to the way the bike is running regarding tuning, so a picture of the spark plug would help alot i imagine.

I suggest emptying some fuel from the carb into a jar to check for contamination. There is an overflow pipe that runs from the bottom of the carb (usually dangling down in the middle of the bike), place this in a jar and turn the screw at the very lowest point of the carb to open the drain circuit, and check the fuel.

http://www.filestube...47803ea/go.html < service manual for your bike will help for locating the filters and drain plug etc.

Vez.

Hey , im having exactly the same problem with my TZR 50 , however mine just wont rev past 6000rpm at all :( She was fine and all of a sudden she just died , the carb its cleaned and there is plenty of a spark , no idea what is causing it :\

How clear is the exhaust? Might be worthwhile giving the pipe a decoke so the engine can breathe out as well as it breathes in.

If the baffles are removable, take them out and clean off all the black crap (wire brush, copper scraper, poke screwdrivers through blocked holes etc..), then take the entire pipe off the bike, block the outlet with half a potato and fill it with a (fairly strong) solution of caustic soda - you should be able to get it from B&Q and the like. Be careful with this stuff, it's won't do you any good if/when it gets splashed on your skin and it eats some alloys, keep a bucket of water handy to wash off any splashes. While the pipe is off, take a look up the exhaust port and see if it's coked up - wire brush on a Dremel is your friend here - just make sure the piston is covering the port so no crap can get into the barrel.

Leave the pipe standing full overnight, empty the crap out the next day (in an environmentally responsible manner, naturally), flush the pipe through with clean water then squirt a load of WD40 down it to clear the water. Reassembly is the reverse of the removal procedure (as they say in Haynes-speak).* See Note below

Definitely get the oil pump leak sorted, you could be getting air bubbles in the feed which will mean starving the big end of much needed lube - this is not a good thing.

HTH

Edited to add Note * - don't forget to take the spud off the end of the pipe - don't be tempted to make chips with it afterwards, they would not taste nice or do you any good. :thumb:

I found a small whole in the side of my exhaust just at the start of the muffler. Could this be the cause of the issue?

I found a small whole in the side of my exhaust just at the start of the muffler. Could this be the cause of the issue?

You never know, fix it and find out :D.

Edit, just realized what a muffler is, probably not the cause, but still needs fixing

Edit 2, is it a rust hole? if so may be worth inspecting the full exhaust and taking Pete's advice about cleaning it out.

I have that hole on my exhaust too , apparently its a "drain hole" what ever that means , however I don't intend on leaving my bike outside so I'm gonna block it up ;)

The drain hole is not just for rain water to escape the exhaust, but to let condensation build up escape that accumulates when riding on cold days. IT is not a good idea to weld/block it up as the exhaust may 'fill up' with water over time.

Appears to be a rust hole. will be taking the full exhaust off today to weld it and inspect it>

Check its not a drain hole first before welding it shut. There is sometimes a little rust around drain holes as water escapes from there, nothing to worry about though.

Vez.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

sounds to me as if the bike is running a little rich, causing it to splutter.

take out your spark plug and see what colour it is, if it's a dark brown/blackish colour, something is causing the bike to run too rich.

The plug should be a light browny colour.

now, seeing as the bike ran fine before hand, it means something has changed, effecting the fuel air mixture, i'd suggest checking the carburettor for debris, check the air box for any changes and lastly check the exhaust for any blockages or damage,

hope this helps.

Alex

Hey ive got a 2004 Tzr and have a "few" problems with it wonder if you guys could help ?

I had a similar problem to this , apart from my TZR wont rev above 5000rpm at all :o This happened after filling up at BP qnd it ran fine for around 5-10 miles before going round a roundabout it died and would rev above 7000rpm , its been slowly dropping since ;(

Cheers ,

Jordan

Hey ive got a 2004 Tzr and have a "few" problems with it wonder if you guys could help ?

I had a similar problem to this , apart from my TZR wont rev above 5000rpm at all :o This happened after filling up at BP ............;(

Cheers ,

Jordan

Oh no!

Fish in the tank?? :o

I had a similar problem to this , apart from my TZR wont rev above 5000rpm at all :o This happened after filling up at BP qnd it ran fine for around 5-10 miles before going round a roundabout it died and would rev above 7000rpm , its been slowly dropping since ;(

Cheers ,

Jordan

hmm..

is the bike standard?

try checking your carburettor for blockages, if you were on reserve before filling up, it's likely you will have taken some crap through the carb, partly blocking the main jet, simple enough to remove and clean out.

Alex

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online