townmate front forks "click"

mike73
This post is 5172 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone- I am restoring a T80 townmate. I thought I had got it pretty much back together but its failed the MOT because of a click from the forks. Basically if you hod the front brake on and rock the bike back and forth then sometimes there will be a loud clicking/flicking sound from somewhere in the fork area. (Sounds a bit like somethig trapped in the wrong position suddenly flicking back) I suspected the front suspension but the arms have been rebushed and I have swapped both the internal shock absorbers with the spares from my donor bike (as well as the mounting bolts) and it still happens. I'm not even sure it is the suspension now! Sound seems to come from the region where the forks join the down tube (ie above the top of the shocks). I can't see anything moving to explain the click and I can't detect a corresponding vibration in any part that might also explain it.Has anyone got any ideas? Is this normal?

Many thanks

Mike

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

have you checked where the yoke attaches to the frame? might be loose or might need new bushes or bearings.

im not sure then m8 i havent got alot of experiance with forks lol but cant you top them up to see if it masks it for the mot? sounds like you need to strip them down to see whats happening.

just a thaught is the spedo cable catching anywhere?

I have actualy stripped & rebuilt the same forks a good while back & seem to recall a bolt going through the leg about half way up (I think is allen a bolt ?)

Im not sure but is it one of the fixing bolts for the the calipper & maybe its been left loose or needs a bush ?

Thanks for all the help guys- all- I stripped them down and found that the head nut was a bit loose allowing the crown plate to slip and strike the fork shroud, plus there were a couple of bearinigs missing from the lower race. Have replaced, refitted, regreased and tightened up all round and the "click" is gone! However there is still a sort of bump as the suspension operates - I am not sure if this is normal operation bottoming out or not, but likewise also not sure what this could be after doing all the above- any ideas? Has anyone got a townmate for a comparison? All advice appreciated guys

Mike

I think that it is inherent in the design of the leading link suspension. On hard braking the front of the bike rises and then drops again as it comes to a stop. There is nothing sophisticated in the spring units and I don't think that there is any damping so as long as there is no static play in the parts it's as good as it ever was or is likely to be.

Good luck with the restoration.

DougT80

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online