New Guy with Questions

sharps09
This post is 5179 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Whats up everyone,

I just got a 1977 xs400D from my lady for my birthday. It was 250 running with a title. I only have a little to work on to get it to pass inspection and thats is why I am writing. I am on a serious budget but I have to fix the brakes, hand controls, and replace the worthless air filters and carb holders.

I have been looking on Ebay for replacement master cylinders but at close to 50.00 I feel I can get a better set up off a salvaged or parts bike on craigslist. Now, my question is can I just put any brake system and controls on the bike or do they have to be from an XS around the same age? I really like the minimal look of older enduro controls would some off a 78 suzuki work?

Lastly, I think I've read almost every carb post on 77 xs400 and can't seem to find a clear answer to what size jet to run with pod filters, could some please clarify? Again money is an issue so I can't just buy a bunch of different sizes and find out for myself.

This site is awsome and has helped so much, hope to add some education to it too someday!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Whats up everyone,

I just got a 1977 xs400D from my lady for my birthday. It was 250 running with a title. I only have a little to work on to get it to pass inspection and thats is why I am writing. I am on a serious budget but I have to fix the brakes, hand controls, and replace the worthless air filters and carb holders.

I have been looking on Ebay for replacement master cylinders but at close to 50.00 I feel I can get a better set up off a salvaged or parts bike on craigslist. Now, my question is can I just put any brake system and controls on the bike or do they have to be from an XS around the same age? I really like the minimal look of older enduro controls would some off a 78 suzuki work?

Lastly, I think I've read almost every carb post on 77 xs400 and can't seem to find a clear answer to what size jet to run with pod filters, could some please clarify? Again money is an issue so I can't just buy a bunch of different sizes and find out for myself.

This site is awsome and has helped so much, hope to add some education to it too someday!

I'm not exactly sure what you are fixing, however if you simply need a new master cylinder why not consider rebuilding it, rebuild kits are a lot cheaper than the whole unit.

What "controls" need to be replaced, and why?

If you're trying to save money, why do you want pod filters and a re-jet?

There are plenty of controls and brake sets that you could modify in some way to work on the bike, but I'm not entirely sure what your priorities are here. Do you just need it to pass inspection, or are you trying to get the look you want?

check ebay for master cylinder rebuild kits.

firstly, I'd strip the old one down to check the bore for corrosion

btw :welcome: to the YOC

The reason I want to replace the master cylinder is because the lever and everything is gone. It didn;t have it on there. I'm not that concerned with the look, I just want to make sure the MS I do get works with the rest of the braking system. Concerning the Pods and jets, I thought it would be cheaper, time and money wise, to bye a rebuild kit for the carbs and the right jet for Pods, since I'm rebuilding them anyways, and pods, then drive to the store and buy filter, glue gun, glue sticks and time to build it.

Just my thinking.

Thanks for the responses.

The reason I want to replace the master cylinder is because the lever and everything is gone. It didn;t have it on there. I'm not that concerned with the look, I just want to make sure the MS I do get works with the rest of the braking system. Concerning the Pods and jets, I thought it would be cheaper, time and money wise, to bye a rebuild kit for the carbs and the right jet for Pods, since I'm rebuilding them anyways, and pods, then drive to the store and buy filter, glue gun, glue sticks and time to build it.

Just my thinking.

Thanks for the responses.

Ive been trying to figure out also what the best, most cost effective way to go about doing the filters are also. Re-jetting actually wont take very long... i just dont know what size jets to get for my 76 xs360... and i just need to order pod filters if i were to go down that path. In my opinion, pod filters look better. Does your bike have the battery in the middle of the 2 air filters? if so what do you plan on doing about that? relocate? or get pods that would not hit the battery and such.

I plan to remove the original battery box and use it as an outline for a home made one. I planned on using a aluminium sheet from a hardware store, laying the original flattened on it and tracing the rough deminsions, minus the lip for the original air boxes. I may just modify the original with a grinder first to remove the lip on the box. I'll let you know. Hoping for something like this.

http://www.wrenchmonkees.com/images/bikes/XS500_15.jpg

I plan to remove the original battery box and use it as an outline for a home made one. I planned on using a aluminium sheet from a hardware store, laying the original flattened on it and tracing the rough deminsions, minus the lip for the original air boxes. I may just modify the original with a grinder first to remove the lip on the box. I'll let you know. Hoping for something like this.

http://www.wrenchmonkees.com/images/bikes/XS500_15.jpg

wow that bike looks slickkkkk.. i want that setup :P

if you replicate it take a lot of pictures and make a guide too. hehe

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online