Taking Your Test

piemuncher
This post is 5051 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Bit of a random little question really. I have recently completed my CBT and (when funds allow) am going going to take my theory test.

Now I dont particularly want to spend £600 on a 4 day course to complete my bike liscence. With the Module 1, there are plenty of videos posted on YouTube including ones from the DSA, would you think (with a bit of background research) it would be possible to practice these by yourself and take the Module with no training on my Yamaha SR 125?

Also, its the same question for Module 2. What manouvres are involved like the car test? I know of the U-turn (although isnt this in Module 1?). I have been riding for 3 years (albeit on a CBT) and still carry out all of the lifesavers, checks before you pull away etc (unlike a lot of ped boys!). Would you think it would be possible to take the Module 2 after a few 1 on 1 lessons with a private tutor, or better still, by training yourself?

I'm desperate to get rid of my L plates, but the thought of paying for a 4 day course of which 2 of those days are your test days makes me feel a little sick and I cant afford it!

Cheers guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Now I dont particularly want to spend £600 on a 4 day course ....<snip>.... possible to practice these by yourself and take the Module with no training on my Yamaha SR 125?

Of course it is possible.

I have been riding for 3 years (albeit on a CBT) and still carry out all of the lifesavers, checks before you pull away etc

Are you sure? every single one, without being over cautious ?

Would you think it would be possible to take the Module 2 after a few 1 on 1 lessons with a private tutor,

Of course, you can take the test without any training at all - passing is a different matter.....

or better still, by training yourself?

You cannot train for the test by yourself, as you are riding you are incapable of checking your own mistakes, so how would you know where to correct yourself?

You are riding a 125 on L-Plates, so you can go out on the road without a DSA instructor, one option would be to find an IAM observer who can give you some constructive advice, but IAM observers are not qualified to instruct.

DSA approved instructors offer fixed price tuition as it includes the whole thing, bike, insurance, and a wealth of knowledge. If you ask them I'm sure they will give you an assesment, or you could just pay to take your test.

I know it's a biter pill, but the best thing to do, if you want to learn how to pass your test is to talk to a riding instructor. You may well end up having to pay for one anyway, so it could be false econamy trying to DIY it, but it mostly depends on your own skill and ability.

Well...

My ex rode for about 3 years on a CBT, then went for her test without doing any lessons.

She failed the first one outright.

She passed the second one somehow, but I always found her to ride like a complete c**t... And yes, I DO mean to use that word. She caused me to crash twice through her dangerous riding and has crashed about five times herself.

Go for the Module 2/DAS/whatever it's called. You will get proper, qualified guidance, instruction, correction and all-round training.

If old enough, you are then able to ride any size bike, whereas testing on a 125 will leave you restricted.

I shall listen to your wise words and get saving for a course then!

Thanks guys

• 3 months later...

Hi all, im thinking of taking my test too. Ive been on CBT for the last few years with a vespa 125 (no pee taking please) and now got a YZF-R125 which ive been batting about on now for 2 weeks. Do you think it better for me to take my test now DAS or get totally confident on my current bike before going for it?

Thanks

Liz

I have recently completed my CBT and (when funds allow) am going going to take my theory test.

Hi, my lad has just gone through this, so I hope this might help both of you...........

The theory test is £31.00 and you have to book that yourself anyway, mostly common sense, read the Highway code (Cars & Motorcycle parts especially, don't worry too much about the pedestrians and cyclists although as Tesco says every little helps) Get yourself a DVD with interactive Hazard Perception, so that you can practice and re practice the clicking, its what catches most people out, but it can be learnt, most of the clips on the DVD will not be official but don't worry about that, it's the recognition of the developing hazard your after.

Once you've got your pass certificate you can think about the MOD 1 test.

MOD 1 Test tips:

The test starts from the moment you get on the bike, so don't forget observations even before your on the testing ground. Remeber Neutral/Ignition/Stand when getting off the bike.

Enter the first available box to complete the manual handling exercise, push it back out as if you're leaving a parking space at Tesco, use observation techniques constantly, keep going backwards in a U shape so that once you've backed into and come to a stop in the second box you'll be ready to ride out for the slalom/ figure 8. When you've finished manually manouvering your bike, stay close to it, even inadvertantly kicking a cone with your foot is a fail.

Don't count the figutre 8's only stop when he calls you over(it has been known for some people to only complete 1.5 circuits)

Pull off and round the bend, accelerate pretty hard out of the bend and only back off once your through the speed trap, flick the bike through the avoidance and front wheel stop into the box.

The next bit is where alot of people fail, the U-Turn. Observations before you pull off, THEN AGAIN BEFORE you make the turn, don't look down! find a point in the distance towards where you want the bike to go and look at that.

Slow ride keeping up with the examiner (they don't dawdle, so you shouldn't have any problems there)

Then back around the bend and through the speed trap again (Same as before) but this time it's an emergency stop. Leave the gears alone and leave the clutch until the very last seconds, stalling is OK (better if you don't) but losing control (without regaining it) is not.

Remeber the test is not over until the bike is back in the parking space you started from so don't forget observations even once your off the playground. Park and get off! The test is now over.

Make sure that the bike you take the test on is between 120 & 125cc and is on the DSA's acceptable list. Some machines are not.

Make sure your insurance, MOT and Tax disc are all up to date, unbelievably when we went there was a young lad turned away from his test before it had even begun as his bike was not taxed!

In my humble opinion all this can be done and the test passed without the need for expensive tuition

MOD 2 Test tips:

Get some expensive tuition! Even riders who think they're good, probably aren't. The DSA like things done their way, learn to do it their way and you'll pass the test, after all that's what your paying to learn ........how to pass the test, not ride a motorcycle. They will ask you to ride a course set by them over the radio head set you'll be wearing, they will also ask you to direct yourself to a destination (harder than it sounds when you've everything else to think about at the same time) They will ask you to perform a hill start and pull away at an angle from behind a parked vehicle, you've already demonstrated the U turn and emergency stop in the Mod 1 test. The test costs £75.00 and test dates are rare and getting rarer, don't balls it up for the sake of a few quid.

I'm desperate to get rid of my L plates

Well good luck, my lad passed, and he's no Barry Sheene, just a normal lad so there's no reason you can't do it.

the thought of paying for a 4 day course of which 2 of those days are your test days makes me feel a little sick and I cant afford it!

Remember that the test days ussually include a couple of hours tuition before the test and you'll get the benifit of one to one or maybe two riding up to the Mod 1 test centre if you take that option, and remember that re-tests make things even more expensive.

Best of luck and let us know.

Hi all, im thinking of taking my test too. Ive been on CBT for the last few years with a vespa 125 (no pee taking please) and now got a YZF-R125 which ive been batting about on now for 2 weeks. Do you think it better for me to take my test now DAS or get totally confident on my current bike before going for it?

Thanks

Liz

I look at it like this........

If your going to do the DAS test, just go for it now, being used to your new bike will be irrelevent as you'll be training and testing on a riding schools 500cc+ bike.

If your going to do it on your own 125, then the more accustomed you are to the machine, the better chance you'll have.

Good luck.

Thanks for your advice, I think ill just get on with it and get the written/computer test done now and then move on to 1 and 2. They are doing a good deal in Derby as I dont need a CBT less than £500 for me. Thanks again and ill report back!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online