100/90-18 on 1.6x18 Rim? 82 XS400SG

Ebola Monkey1
This post is 5180 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I followed some possibly bad advise, and bought a 100/90-18 Kenda Challenger tire for the front of my wife's 82 xs400sg.

Looking at it compared to the current 3.00x18 it's HUGE. I'm questioning whether or not it will even fit inside the fender mounted.

Can anyone advise?

I already have the matching tire on the rear, and would really like to keep them the same. I'm actually looking for a bigger rim to relace to the front so I can keep matching tires.

Also....

Can the speedometer be adjusted for a larger tire on the 82 xs400? Talking 1" taller tire.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

usually 90/90's, i got a 3:50 x 18 on the front of my tracker, it fits under the front mudgaurd, but I've yet to ride it so i don't know what the handlings like!! :huh:

usually 90/90's, i got a 3:50 x 18 on the front of my tracker, it fits under the front mudgaurd, but I've yet to ride it so i don't know what the handlings like!! :huh:

Yeah, I wish I could get this tire in 90/90... I ordered the rear first, got a great deal, then decided to buy the front on the advise that the 100/90 would fit.

What size is the front rim on your flat tracker project? Your 3.5x18 SHOULD be close to my 100/90-18.

The rim on mine is a 1.6x18, and the rim-tire guide you posted before said 1.85/2.15/2.50 are the permitted rims.

Then again it also says the permitted rims for the 120/90-16 I have on the rear are 2.50/2.75/3.00 while mine is only 2.15.

Yeah, I wish I could get this tire in 90/90... I ordered the rear first, got a great deal, then decided to buy the front on the advise that the 100/90 would fit.

What size is the front rim on your flat tracker project? Your 3.5x18 SHOULD be close to my 100/90-18.

The rim on mine is a 1.6x18, and the rim-tire guide you posted before said 1.85/2.15/2.50 are the permitted rims.

Then again it also says the permitted rims for the 120/90-16 I have on the rear are 2.50/2.75/3.00 while mine is only 2.15.

you sure its a 1.6?

1.85 is standard as far as I know!

you sure its a 1.6?

1.85 is standard as far as I know!

Positive. I don't know if it's different because it's a "Heritage Special", or what.

18x1.60 Front

16x2.15 Rear

If the front and rear hubs were the same I'd lace a rear 2.15 to the front hub, and run a 120/90-16 front and rear.

Positive. I don't know if it's different because it's a "Heritage Special", or what.

18x1.60 Front

16x2.15 Rear

If the front and rear hubs were the same I'd lace a rear 2.15 to the front hub, and run a 120/90-16 front and rear.

i posted a pikkies of a virago which had a rear wheel for the front.

if you have wire wheels, then lacing a different rim should present no probs except for any clearance issues you may have!!

i posted a pikkies of a virago which had a rear wheel for the front.

if you have wire wheels, then lacing a different rim should present no probs except for any clearance issues you may have!!

Lacing another 18" rim to my existing hub, no problem (aside from having never done it).

Lacing a 16" rim to my existing hub might be a problem. I can't use the front spokes because they'd be too long. I cant use the rear spokes because they too would bee too long. The front hub is about a half inch bigger in diameter than the rear. I could order custom spokes, but that would blow the budget.

Got a link to that virago pic? I can't find it.

Im running big ass Harley Davidson tires on my 80 XS400.

Dunlop D402 MT90B16 on the rear

MT90B16* 72H BW 3020-91 3.00 25.30 5.20 5/32 783 @ 40

and on the front Dunlop D404 100/90-18.

100/90-18 56H BW 32NK-24 2.50 24.80 3.90 6/32 494 @ 41

Front fits fine under the fender.

no idea if they are recommended or gonna fail but its what came on the bike when I bought it last month and so far I've had no issues. My top speed has been 55mph.. im still learning scared to go any faster :P

Im running big ass Harley Davidson tires on my 80 XS400.

Dunlop D402 MT90B16 on the rear

MT90B16* 72H BW 3020-91 3.00 25.30 5.20 5/32 783 @ 40

and on the front Dunlop D404 100/90-18.

100/90-18 56H BW 32NK-24 2.50 24.80 3.90 6/32 494 @ 41

Front fits fine under the fender.

no idea if they are recommended or gonna fail but its what came on the bike when I bought it last month and so far I've had no issues. My top speed has been 55mph.. im still learning scared to go any faster :P

Could you possibly check what size your front rim is? It should be stamped on it somewhere. If yours is 1.60x18 that is good news for me.

Could you possibly check what size your front rim is? It should be stamped on it somewhere. If yours is 1.60x18 that is good news for me.

good news. front is J18 x 1.60 Dot 205 380

rear is J16 x 2.15 Dot 201 280

The standard tyre is too big for the rim as it is. I'd say that monster tyre would look very pinched on such a narrow rim. A 2,50 rim is the standard size rim for that tyre, The 1.60 isn't anywhere near an acceptable alternative for that size of tyre.

The standard tyre is too big for the rim as it is. I'd say that monster tyre would look very pinched on such a narrow rim. A 2,50 rim is the standard size rim for that tyre, The 1.60 isn't anywhere near an acceptable alternative for that size of tyre.

are we talking looks or like safety? cause I'm worried the guy who owned my XS put these tires on that he had laying around and are going to explode on me on the road doing 50mph cause they are the wrong size.

That was my concern. I put the tire next to it, and squeezed it down to 1.6", and it's silly close. I did this as soon as the tire came in, and that's why I didn't think it would work.

I'm worried it could roll off the rim.

omg do i really need to worry about it flying off? Ive put 100 miles on it with speeds up to 55mph and nothing has felt weird but this is my first motorcycle and i'm a first time rider. It looks like it's on there just fine like it was meant to be on there.. but im a newbie

Lacing another 18" rim to my existing hub, no problem (aside from having never done it).

Lacing a 16" rim to my existing hub might be a problem. I can't use the front spokes because they'd be too long. I cant use the rear spokes because they too would bee too long. The front hub is about a half inch bigger in diameter than the rear. I could order custom spokes, but that would blow the budget.

Got a link to that virago pic? I can't find it.

Ya could shorten your spokes and then re-thread them. Tool required = Tap + Die set.

ps. I have never cut spokes down to a shorter length so i cant say if it would affect them. ( cant see that it would, but dont know)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online