xs400 engine disassemble question(s)

This post is 5187 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So my first question of my xs400 engine disassemble is that when i was taking off the oil pan, it seemed like previous person tightened the oil pan way too tight.

the screws mostly made a snap sound right when i got them to loosen up, the kinda sound as if I was tightened it too much and screw breaks inside (but Im pretty sure I was untightening counterclockwise as they did thread out easily right after I got it 'loose')...

Anyway, 3 of the 6 screws broke off in the hole ( and the other 3 looked like they were about to break in the middle of the screw).

the oil pan doesnt come off, i guess maybe cause the screws inside are holding the pan to the engine still maybe (i was hoping it broke off on the pan side versus engine, so I could take it off then figure out a way to get the screws out but guess that wont work out doh hehe).

Anyway is a screw extracter the best way to get them out?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So my first question of my xs400 engine disassemble is that when i was taking off the oil pan, it seemed like previous person tightened the oil pan way too tight.

the screws mostly made a snap sound right when i got them to loosen up, the kinda sound as if I was tightened it too much and screw breaks inside (but Im pretty sure I was untightening counterclockwise as they did thread out easily right after I got it 'loose')...

Anyway, 3 of the 6 screws broke off in the hole ( and the other 3 looked like they were about to break in the middle of the screw).

the oil pan doesnt come off, i guess maybe cause the screws inside are holding the pan to the engine still maybe (i was hoping it broke off on the pan side versus engine, so I could take it off then figure out a way to get the screws out but guess that wont work out doh hehe).

Anyway is a screw extracter the best way to get them out?

That's terrible mate, I wouldn't know what else to use other than an extractor.

oil pan?

is it the 6 x 6mm screws under the case holding the oil gauze cover?

its a tight bugger and with no heads on will come off. Use a rubber mallet to shift it slightly

with luck, the screw shafts will be protruding and you can get to weld a nut on to remove.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online