Communication Between Bikes

ChristianSRA
This post is 5184 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Me and my dad have both just got bikes and have our CBT on sunday and we would both like to go out together is it possible to have headset communication between two bikes? We both have full face helmets so im not sure if boom mics would be applicable unless you no otherwise mine is a shark S900 and my dad has a Marushin im not sure what the model of it but anyway we are looking on a budget as well so if someone could tell me a good system I would be highly greatful

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Depends how cheap you want to get.

two vodafone sim cards, two phones with hands free kits, 1 friends and family unlimited talk package(£5p/m for 4 phone numbers). you get the idea.

There are plenty of bike-to-bike walkie-talkie types available out there.

Cheapest a quick google search finds is these from M&P http://www.mandp.co..../Special-Offers for £69

I believe fully paid up members of the forum get a discount at M&P ;)

Vez.

That's a good point I am on vodafone family with my dad you clever lot :P I will see if I can persuade my dad to put full membership on my account if it includes discounts cheers again guys

pop into your local motorbike shop they should be able to show you a few devices :)

A word of warning...

Cheap, is just that - Cheap!

I've tried a good number of combinations for bike-to-bike and if you buy cheap you will buy more than once, unless you are very lucky!

It doesn't realy matter what you use for the wireless conectivity, the problem comes down to the mic and speaker in your lid. You will get wind noise, so you need a mike that is noise cancelling, and not all 'noise cancelling' mikes work well.

Not all speakers will get the sound clarity to your ear either....

Consider some earplugs that have in-built speakers, these aren't cheap (yes you can use your iPod ones, but they won't clear out the wind noise). There are some good in-ear ones, but these retail in the upper price range too, or you can have earplugs made to fit - I have some and although they are very good at what they do, I find them a litle uncomfortable over long distances and usually resort to the usual SNR35 expanding foam type.

StartCom1 do about the best sets of mike & speakers to suit most radios, the noise cancelling on the mike is superb, all the way upto 100mph! At legal speeds the person you are talking to won't even know you are on a bike.

Another option is the new Scada Ride sets, these run bluetooth over extended distances, though I'm not sure what they are! cheap radios will give you a bit better range over level ground (and will be useless in cities!), the more expensive will give you between 5 and 10kms (terrain dependant), I use a set of Midlan G7E's in the Lakes and they work pretty well over rouger ground. A full CB radio will give you much improved cover.

Just a word on the use of Mobile Phones, if they are hard wired then the law is a little grey, some consider that you are using the phone. and do you really want to have a mobile phone running all the time in your pocket ? It may well be the cause of some questions if you are involved in an acident too.

People who use bike to bike all the time normally go for an Autocom / Starcom1 setup with high quality radios. The reason ? Think about it.... Go sounds very like No over a bad link. Consider this, you are riding along the road and over take a truck, the road is winding about and you see your dad looking to take the truck too, but you can see a car coming the other way and say 'No', he thinks you've said 'go'.........

It's just one possible situation, so you also need to think about the words you use, choose ones (and agree) that don't sound the same and stick to them. In the group stuff I've done with the IAM we used a short selection of words, usually repeated.

' road clear xxx meters ' -

' Danger Danger ' - speaks for itself

' left left left '

' right right right '

There is no right or wrong, just what you agree to use.

Another consideration is PTT or VOX. Vox is voice opperated, so the mike 'opens' when you speak, PTT is Push-to-talk where you push a botton (usually located on your bars) to talk. Both have thier supporters and critics. I preffer PTT as there is nothing more frustrating than wind noise on the guy with a crappy mike, whos radio has gone live because of the wind in his mike. And I'm not keen on listening to other guys singing as they ride! VOX works great if you are constantly talking, giving instructions or commenting.

Anyway, one or two things to think about while you are making your descision.

If you want something cost-effective, you want a set of PMR446 radios.

These vary in price tremendously, but you get what you pay for.

Have a look at the Thunderpole website.

They usually have a pair for around £70, which are a good quality, reliable brand and have enough features without going into the professional level.

Try something like the Midland G7. These usually come in a pair for that price and include batteries, chargers and all that.

You will also need a helmet headset.

These will come with a standard 2-pin connector and a handlebar-mounted PTT switch.

I always favour the Midland/Alan brand, but they *are* the best. Regardless of your helmet, always get the Open face version with the mic boom, because these have noise attenuation.

If you need any guidance on use and features, gimme a shout.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online