New Guy with a dumb question

This post is 5179 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everybody, My names Matt. I just picked up a 1978 DT off the side of the road for free. It is in pretty good condition but has not ran for some time. I am gonna tear it down and clean it up but first I need to ask a favor, I have no idea what bike I have. I know its a 1978 by the Manufacture plate. And Its definitely a DT. But I cant figure out how big the engine is. I know, kinda silly but I really appreciate any help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey everybody, My names Matt. I just picked up a 1978 DT off the side of the road for free. It is in pretty good condition but has not ran for some time. I am gonna tear it down and clean it up but first I need to ask a favor, I have no idea what bike I have. I know its a 1978 by the Manufacture plate. And Its definitely a DT. But I cant figure out how big the engine is. I know, kinda silly but I really appreciate any help!

?

So you haven't looked on the bottom lhs of the barrel where its stamped then? :P

The dumb part of the question was not posting the bl''dy picture that you have in the garage with the post struth.... :blink:

Its a 400.

Well thank you, I looked all over the thing but I was sure I was missing something. How can you tell its a 400? I am new to the hole older bike thing. Thanks again!

Google is your friend........

DT 400 picture history

And i know what a 400 looks like :D

EDIT, folks over here would give very important parts of there body for a DT in the condition you have. I'd be inclined to give it a clean and make it a working bike before 'tearing it down'.

With respect its an iconic bike but sensitive and tearing them down needs knowledge that you appear to lack add the rarity of parts that normally means they end up in a boot sale as a box of bits. :(