Alternative Carburettor

Emmi
This post is 4683 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

I have a Yam SR125 (1991) bought as a non-runner - guy it was bought off said he didnt use it over winter, left it outside etc...

So replaced the battery - got current.

Tried to clean Carb - Choke was jammed - spindle has broke and now need a new Carb.

I've done lots of searching for a 2nd hand Carb with little luck - and now I've been advised a Mikuni BS26 - is this a direct replacement?

Thanx - Emmi

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Couldn't say for sure, but one froma slightly different model might work. I really can't imagine the SR125 being so rare you wouldn't get the right one though

Couldn't say for sure, but one from a slightly different model might work. I really can't imagine the SR125 being so rare you wouldn't get the right one though

That's what we thought - though cant find an early example without a Carb problem! Most other parts are readily available!!! <_< One of the reasons we got the bike...

Whats wrong with the carb?

"spindle has broke" doesnt really explain much...pictures?

I've now got a replacement Carb, but if I could try to explain (without pictures yet).

The Manual pull-out choke; button type Carb. The Choke slider assembly inside the Carb would not budge - I sprayed Carb Cleaner and allowed it to penetrate. Removed the Rubber Gasket, Locknut but still the piston assembly would not move. the button (which is pegged with a steel rollpin) snapped off leaving the spindle and assembly inside the Carb still stuck.

Once I get the Carb off again, to replace it; I will take pictures to explain as I would like to repair it to make it a spare.

I can replace the spindle - I'll just get another machined up (my Father knows a few people with CNC's) but I do need to remove the Assembly...

TA :)

I bet a vice and a hammer would sort it, or if you want to be really posh a slide hammer :D

Now I know what you mean, hardly a spindle though...more of a plunger! I never heard of one sticking like that though. :unsure:

The Assembly i.e. barrel, spindle and spring etc is the Plunger - the thing through the middle, the long thin Brass Rod - its a Spindle. <_<

E

Im in the same boat as you, where did you get your carb from? or does anyone know where I can get a repair kit for it, its a TEIKEI Y24P/1. Sorry for hijacking your post, just thought I'd ask here as I have a similar problem.

So here goes...

All the work done by my Dad...

Stripped down replacement Carb. from a 1993 SR125 - not a direct replacement as the 1993 model has a Carb Heater - my 1991 does not. Sprayed it down with Carb Cleaner and de-gunked it all. Installed replacement Carb. and gave it some Choke - fired up first crank! Idle was very erratic at first - but adjustment of the idle screw saw her really settle down.

Few things to do now she works... clutch seems right at the end of the release and there is almost NO more adjustment left so a new one is needed. Chain/Cover has been cleaned and adjusted to correct tension and all seems well.

@bigantkl - constant searching on a number of sites and breakers - early SR125 Carbs are extremely rare!!! Eventually got one from eBay, but had to take a risk as its not a direct equivalent.

Photo's to come, but when removing the old Carb. removal of the fuel pipe was what seemed like a fuel bowl full of water!! This had obviously worked its way into the Carb and basically seized everything up! Upon stripping down, the insides of the Carb was full of white powder from the Aluminium Body. I'm guessing that this had also worked its way into the Choke and seized that up! The needle was covered in corrosion as was every other screw and internal surface! The guy who had it before me obviously had no clue what he was doing!

Just glad all is almost done... B)

E

• 11 months later...

E,

I am very interested in your post, as I am encountering the same issues on a motorcycle. When you used the new carb did you try to connect the new heater. Was the alternate carb successful? Please tell us more. how is it currently running?

Curtis

So here goes...

All the work done by my Dad...

Stripped down replacement Carb. from a 1993 SR125 - not a direct replacement as the 1993 model has a Carb Heater - my 1991 does not. Sprayed it down with Carb Cleaner and de-gunked it all. Installed replacement Carb. and gave it some Choke - fired up first crank! Idle was very erratic at first - but adjustment of the idle screw saw her really settle down.

Few things to do now she works... clutch seems right at the end of the release and there is almost NO more adjustment left so a new one is needed. Chain/Cover has been cleaned and adjusted to correct tension and all seems well.

@bigantkl - constant searching on a number of sites and breakers - early SR125 Carbs are extremely rare!!! Eventually got one from eBay, but had to take a risk as its not a direct equivalent.

Photo's to come, but when removing the old Carb. removal of the fuel pipe was what seemed like a fuel bowl full of water!! This had obviously worked its way into the Carb and basically seized everything up! Upon stripping down, the insides of the Carb was full of white powder from the Aluminium Body. I'm guessing that this had also worked its way into the Choke and seized that up! The needle was covered in corrosion as was every other screw and internal surface! The guy who had it before me obviously had no clue what he was doing!

Just glad all is almost done... B)

E