SR125 just died on me. Please Help

ActiveAdam
This post is 5098 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

I am a complete newbie to this. I have had a look through some other posts but nothing quite matches my issue.

I have had my Yamaha SR125 (Y reg) in the garage for a couple of weeks and got it out to poodle off to work this morning.

It took ages to start. Almost as if it thought it wasn't in Neutral or if the stand is down. i.e.it turned but didn't even fire.

Anyway, I bumbed it about a bit and took it in and out of neutral and eventually (like only about 5mins) it started as always.

So, I rode the 2miles to work. All good. It was revving quite a lot though. But I wanted to give it some welly anyway to 'wake it up'. I got to work and parked. Stalled the thing by accident in Gear2. Then couldn't seem to nudge it back in to Neutral.

Finally got it into Neutral to try and restart it and move the bike. But now there is no electrics at all. No lights, no Neutral green light on the dash... nothing. Key turns and it is dead as a dodo.

The only thing I have noticed is that it seems to have no oil. I have checked connections to battery and am pretty sure that are on nice and tight.

Anyone got any ideas at all.

Adam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Flat or Dead battery , blown fuse ?? & riding with no oil your lucky only going 2 miles, Sr 125 not the best bike to practice this daring fete on I have heard of them being damaged somewhat when running with a dry sump :rolleyes: ? This may of course be an old Goab tale though :unsure:

Flat or Dead battery , blown fuse ?? & riding with no oil your lucky only going 2 miles, Sr 125 not the best bike to practice this daring fete on I have heard of them being damaged somewhat when running with a dry sump :rolleyes: ? This may of course be an old Goab tale though :unsure:

Anything that is designed to run with Oil should have Oil. If you have no Oil then chances are the engine may have seized up - if this is the case, start looking for a new engine. :(

Emmi

Thanks for replies... Blown fuse sounds likely I guess. Battery was fine before. I agree with the oil comments Do bikes plough through oil faster than cars? 'cos I only had it serviced at the garage a couple of months ago and I don't 'think' there is a leak. I can tell I am going to have to take more care of the bike than I have done of my cars in the past.

I'll get some oil today!

This may be a dumb question.. but is there an online bike shop that sells bits and stuff like fuses you could recomemnd?

Thanks again !

OK... found the fuse. It's blown. Got some oil. Got fuse. Running lovely lovely. Thanks for your help. I know it's probably simple to you guys but I really am a complete newbie. Realise now that the fuses are just like normal ones you get from Halfords and stuff.

Thanks for help!

Adam

A motorcycle should not use more oil, but they need the oil changed more regularly. Personally, i check my oil no less than once a week, but mine is an older bike. Perhaps the people who serviced it did not get the right amount of oil in- and always use motorcycle oil or designed for heavy duty diesel engines- do not use auto oil. Your clutch runs in the engine oil and auto oil has friction modifiers that are not good for the clutch.

Lucky you and more good luck to you!

I stoped trusting garages and other people with my bikes years ago.B)

When they cant even put in the right amount of oil or put a split-link in the right way arround on my chain, how could they do anything else right.:angry:

Of course there is probably lots of good garages that Know what there doing and actualy Care about bikes and the rider's that sit on them.:thumb:

Find a Good garage that ya trust to do your work if you cant do it yourself.

You may only get one chance at staying alive, so dont let bad workemanship or faulty parts on your bike be the cause of a crash.

Well-cared for bike = Rider can relax and enjoy riding.

Have Fun :D

OK... found the fuse. It's blown. Got some oil. Got fuse. Running lovely lovely. Thanks for your help. I know it's probably simple to you guys but I really am a complete newbie. Realise now that the fuses are just like normal ones you get from Halfords and stuff.

Thanks for help!

Adam

You should get a SR125 Haynes manual for about £15 which will tell you the basics, but it is not gospel & as it will tell you to use 20w40 when you want 10w40 motorbike oil (dont use auto oil) . Also change oil earlier than it tells you instead of say 2k do it at 1500 miles , These little bikes are noted for top end failures ( look on ebah, loads of bottom end dead cheap these are bullet proof & the odd head top whack these are not ) & its mainly down to neglect of, regular oil & filter change/valve clearances/cam chain tensioner/air filter cleaning & renewal of camchain when its due .looked after 50k plus is not unheard of but, Its not worth guessing things & overfilling with oil as well as underfilling will fkitup, 1 litre is ok after a good drain (engine hot) ,look at the window with bike upright on its wheels after it has settled down & have it between the marks , check regular & it should get you twerk & back for many a day .......... R

Hi Root,

Found Haynes on Amazon and will be ordering next month. I have run out of money this month already :-(

Bit confused by what you wrote but just checking... You're saying that:

1. These bikes fail at top end(?) - do you mean at a higher mileage?

2. I did overfill with oil slightly... I am taking it you'd drain some off? It really is running soooo much nicer now. But I only do really short runs. What's the consequences of over fill? Is that too much pressure for it?

3. I have a horrible feeling it was Auto Oil... it was 10w40 though. What'the consequence of that!?

Really appreciate your help. I am really interested and know I will probably be spending hours 'fiddling' once I get my Haynes.

Oh... one last thing... The Yamaha manual (I got a PDF from somewhere) says 20A fuse.. but he one on the bike (and the spare fuse) were 10A. Seems fine though... weird.

Auto oil is no good for bikes with a wet clutch , wich you have I suggest you dump it or regret it.

refil with bike oil 1 litre is ok for yours & you should get away with it as you can't have gone to far yet (dont keep using it)

AS I said as with Sr as with any engine its not keeping up with maintainance that causes most motor damage.

you say you do very short rides , well a good run(for that bike 25-30 miles round trip)would do it good & blow some shite out of it now & again ,

When you have the correct oil ect

EDIT No when I say top end I mean the top of engine cylinder head camshaft /valves

Also dont get fully synthetic oil , semi is ok or ordinary bike oil.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online