Warm spark plug DT125r

This post is 5190 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello "OLDGIT"

Warmed the spark plug up on my Dt like you advised, and gave it a kick over. Unfortunately, didn't have much sucsess, and after trying the old spark plug again, and also dropping a little bit of fuel in the spark plug port, (on someone else's advice) and then giving it a go, (using firstly the old plug, and then the new one, which is now the one that is still in,) still didn't have nuch sucsess.

Began working through the Starting Problems, section of the fault diagnosis in the manual.

Fuel getting through fuel pipe fine ...No kinks, twists or splits in any of the piepwork to the carburettor... Ht lead in reasonable condition, and supressor cap secure... Air filter clean and unblocked...A good spark at plug... choke operation in good order...

was thinking, rightly or wrongly, "not sure"? if maybe the carb is not set up correctly, ie tick over/idle speed? or maybe had I caused myself a problem with air getting in to through the reed block stub, where I had snapped off the securing bolt with my gorilla inexperience!

Decided I would put some gasket sealant around the reed block inlet stub, and then if that failed, maybe think about getting the engine out to remove the offending snapped off bolt, and this time securing it properly, also with a new reed block gasket.

But,

before I tried this, I decided I would try and bump the bike off down a hill. I know, a little but of in-experienced desperation creeping in,

But to my suprise, I ACTUALLY MANAGED TO GET IT GOING!

and rode it around my field, for a few laps, going through the gears, but when I slowed down, it slowly died off.

The good points, (I hope) are that now, the "sticking clutch" plates issue, has been resolved, and the clutch is operating freely.

and that I know the bike is capable of running, though how far off I am to getting it running correctly, I am unsure?

Also, there is a small "nipple" type nozzle connection port on the carburettor, on the right hand side, behind the fuel pipe connection and breather pipe connection, that I am having trouble identifying? and its purpose?. There is not,or was not, any pipe connected to it, and I don't know where or what it would connect to any way?

Once again, I would sincerely appreciate any tips/pointers or welcome advice.

Many thanks

Robbie.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not wanting to step on toes but,,,

There are two pipes on the right hand sied of the carb, one to the front and one to the back, the front one is short and just hangs down, the back one is long (8 or 10 inches) and goes up and into the frame of the bike not connected to anything. Is this the pipes you are talking about?

So she started, thats gooooood.

Can you get a compression test done?

Have you had the carb off to clean it good and fully, ie.jets and everything?

On the carb,,,the piolet screw,,,,turn it in till it LIGHTLY seats then turn it out 1and1/2 full turns,,,,put a mark on it if ya cant judge it.

The idle screw,,,,turn it out a few turns for now just to try to get it going,,,,,it should rev high if it starts.

HTH

EDIT: what year is the bike? What milage?Do you know if it had a rebore?

.............before I tried this, I decided I would try and bump the bike off down a hill. I know, a little but of in-experienced desperation creeping in,

But to my suprise, I ACTUALLY MANAGED TO GET IT GOING!

and rode it around my field, for a few laps, going through the gears,..............

Robbie.

Well thats always a thing worth tring on a lighweight bike, only this morning I suggested the same, ;)

hope it works for him too :D

yeah, I checked late last night, and the spark seemed stong and decent enough (although I don't really have a basis of comparison). any ideas?

Get someone to give you some help bump starting it, got any hills nearby?...Ohh you are using the choke arent you?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online