Yamaha XJ6

Kier
This post is 4018 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello! I'm hoping to do my DAS when I turn 21 in just over 2 months. Been thinking about it for a while, and finally set my mind on it. The main reason why I want a bike is purely for fun, and maybe to and from work every so often.

I don't really know anything about bikes, so have joined a few forums to get some opinions about what would be a good first bike.

A few people have said about the XJ6 Diversion being a good start, and a few reviews that I've read have said similar. I also have to be a bit careful with insurance, I did a quote for a Ninja...which came back at £2,300. XJ6 came back at a much nicer £770, which I didn't think was too bad.

Is a XJ6 a good choice to go for as a first bike? Is there anything that I need to look out for when buying/viewing?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is a XJ6 a good choice to go for as a first bike?

Are you talking about the new one ? if yes, then, yes it's a great bike to start with.

Fast enough to get you into trouble, but easy to ride so you're not worrying about the bike, but you can concentrate on your riding. Great riding position so you get great visability (until you grow the second set of eyes in the bak of your head!) and that makes it comfortable. Good handling so you can scratch the country roads, relax on the A roads and still filter with lots of confidence.

It's not going to break any performance records, but it is considerably cheaper to buy, run and insure than a sportsbike - and the look good too.

I had a go on one a while back when one of my bikes was in for service, and I was impressed with the XJ6. The suspension feels a little overworked at times, but going from a XJR1300 with properly setup Ohlins to an entry level bike - is always going to feel that way. Then again there is a significant difference in price between the two!

Thanks for the reply :).

I was looking at the 2009 model, as they are in my price range, maybe a little older, depends how much money I have when I pass my DAS...sadly I've got to pay for car insurance on my birthday...so can't do it right away :(.

Not too fussed about top speed and all that, just something for a bit of fun for now.

While I'm here...its a lot more confusing getting a license for a bike than a car...I understand that I need to do a CBT and theory before I can take my test, is this included in the DAS course? Or will I need to do that before I start the lessons/test?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply :).

I was looking at the 2009 model, as they are in my price range, maybe a little older, depends how much money I have when I pass my DAS...sadly I've got to pay for car insurance on my birthday...so can't do it right away :(.

Not too fussed about top speed and all that, just something for a bit of fun for now.

While I'm here...its a lot more confusing getting a license for a bike than a car...I understand that I need to do a CBT and theory before I can take my test, is this included in the DAS course? Or will I need to do that before I start the lessons/test?

Thanks.

i have one, as does barkwindjammer and i think it is excellent. Okay the chassis has its limitations (if you ride it to the ragged edge) and the engine is tamed, but it does so many things well i ain't complaining.

I'm sure it would make a great machine for a novice.

Yep I'm more than pleased with mine, its a flingable wee bike and very agile, great for the novice and older hands alike, and I think Yamaha are still doing the 'interest free buying' on these B)

you need to ask your instructor which package they do, all of them will probably take you through CBT, arrange a booking date for the theory then lessons and test all for a price, if you have your own bike you could arrange and then sit all 3 parts by yourself-if you feel your competent, my advice would be to spend the money and let an instructor guide you through from start to finish, HTH

http://www.xj-series.com/landing.jsp

http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/Reviews/2009_yamaha_xj6_and_xj6_diversion.htm

Yep I'm more than pleased with mine, its a flingable wee bike and very agile, great for the novice and older hands alike, and I think Yamaha are still doing the 'interest free buying' on these B)

you need to ask your instructor which package they do, all of them will probably take you through CBT, arrange a booking date for the theory then lessons and test all for a price, if you have your own bike you could arrange and then sit all 3 parts by yourself-if you feel your competent, my advice would be to spend the money and let an instructor guide you through from start to finish, HTH

http://www.xj-series.com/landing.jsp

http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/Reviews/2009_yamaha_xj6_and_xj6_diversion.htm

Thanks very much! Definitely going to get lessons and all, only been on a bike once round my mates garden...and that was a twist and go kinda thing. Aim on getting my bike after I've done the test.

Need to find somewhere that is cheap and recommended now lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Almost a month into my new 09' XJ6S and had no real problems with it. Handles great and sounds nice if you like the buzz up in the 7000 rpms. Treat it nicely though if you go for a new one, but not too nice. The gears are clunky if you short shift or multi down for traffic lights and roundabouts but if you ride it properly its a dream. I just done the DAS and did look around at smaller bikes but if you've got some commuting to do and want a bike with some grunt still left in it after 70mph (and higher :) ) give it a go. Make sure if you by a 09 model you don't pay 10' price tag.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

Just bought a new xj6 divvy f abs and have spent the last 3-4 days running it in to it's first 600 mile service!! :spin2: And I think it was a good choice for a fairly new rider (getting back in after a while out)! But I have noticed a loud buzzing noise between 30 and 43 mph in 3rd or 4th gear (way louder than normal)!?

Can't locate it exactly... tried holding the fairing and shield etc... so guessing its the engine? Anyone else had this noise? Or is it just an inherent problem with the Divvy?

My dealership said that would take a look whilst servicing the bike but Im not holding out much hope!?! What would you recommend I do?

Many thanks all

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just bought a new xj6 divvy f abs and have spent the last 3-4 days running it in to it's first 600 mile service!! :spin2: And I think it was a good choice for a fairly new rider (getting back in after a while out)! But I have noticed a loud buzzing noise between 30 and 43 mph in 3rd or 4th gear (way louder than normal)!?

Can't locate it exactly... tried holding the fairing and shield etc... so guessing its the engine? Anyone else had this noise? Or is it just an inherent problem with the Divvy?

My dealership said that would take a look whilst servicing the bike but Im not holding out much hope!?! What would you recommend I do?

Many thanks all

Steve

ine gets a buzz going between 6/7000 RPM - a bit irritating, as that's exactly motorway speed, 70/75 MPH... It goes away at 7000+, so now I cruise at 81/85! :babyha:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a white XJ6N new in September 09 .

It was my first bike and I have now covered just over 20 thousand miles on it .

Just about at the end of only its second set of its standard fitment Bridgestones , getting 10 thousand miles a set . Other than having had 2 brake lever/light switches under warranty it has been reliable . I put a new chain on it at about 18000 miles and have serviced it myself.

Everything the other guys say about these bikes is true , really good entry level bike and more . Highly recommend it .

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a white XJ6N new in September 09 .

It was my first bike and I have now covered just over 20 thousand miles on it .

Just about at the end of only its second set of its standard fitment Bridgestones , getting 10 thousand miles a set . Other than having had 2 brake lever/light switches under warranty it has been reliable . I put a new chain on it at about 18000 miles and have serviced it myself.

Everything the other guys say about these bikes is true , really good entry level bike and more . Highly recommend it .

Bridgestones? Mine (2010 model) came with Dunlop SportMax's on it? I'm not a fan, and my next set will be Battlax's of one type or other...

• 4 weeks later...

ref the buzzing mentioned by some above

I have '60 XJ6FA and I also found it was at times both 3000rpm ish and 4500-5000 rpm ish. Riding on open road, I managed to figure out it was the front screen/black dial 'dash'.

Local dealer tried to tighten all the screen fixings - no change.

Second trial with 2 guys on the bike with me holding the revs, it stopped if they pressed the black dial 'dash' to the left & right of the dials, right at the pointed bit where it meets the screen and fairing. They have fixed by fitting some, like double sided sticky sponge, at that point and the noise has stopped - heaven!

ref xj6 diversion

I road tested one of these a few days ago and i was really pleased with the way it performed such an easy bike to ride. i must just say that i have not been riding long only a couple of months and compared to my xt660 this thing was a real hoot, only downer is now i have realised that i made a mistake buying the xt they say that hinesight is a wonderful thing oh well live and learn ..... best change to the xj6 diversion makes sense lol

• 5 weeks later...

ref the buzzing mentioned by some above

I have '60 XJ6FA and I also found it was at times both 3000rpm ish and 4500-5000 rpm ish. Riding on open road, I managed to figure out it was the front screen/black dial 'dash'.

Local dealer tried to tighten all the screen fixings - no change.

Second trial with 2 guys on the bike with me holding the revs, it stopped if they pressed the black dial 'dash' to the left & right of the dials, right at the pointed bit where it meets the screen and fairing. They have fixed by fitting some, like double sided sticky sponge, at that point and the noise has stopped - heaven!

The buzzing I meant is the engine - in that rev range (between 6/7k RPM), the engine is a little buzzy... It smooths out if I either drop or raise the revs out of that band...

• 1 month later...

I've got a XJ6S (2010) and love it to bits. It's my first bike (after several years of scooter ownership) and does everything I want it to and adds plenty of fun into the bargain.

I learnt on an Kawasaki ER5 then a XJ6N, so I've not exactly got much in terms of bike variety.

As for buzzing, not noticed any on mine

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I just picked up my new (second-hand) Yamaha XJ6 today. I drove it back gingerly after the recent snow in London. The roads were dry, the sun actually came out and the bike was very stable and responsive. This is a big step up for me from my 125 which I still have for town riding as it costs about one shilling per year to run. I don't fancy leaving my gleaming new bike to be bashed in small London motorcycle bays. The XJ6 is currently for weekends enjoyment and trips away. So where to go? Baltic? Spain?

Any suggestion on luggage? One of the grizzled characters in the shop suggested Oxford "sling over" expandable soft luggage that could be taken off the bike and stored when not needed.

http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3&action=dept&id=184&pid=0&p=

Hi. I just picked up my new (second-hand) Yamaha XJ6 today. I drove it back gingerly after the recent snow in London. The roads were dry, the sun actually came out and the bike was very stable and responsive. This is a big step up for me from my 125 which I still have for town riding as it costs about one shilling per year to run. I don't fancy leaving my gleaming new bike to be bashed in small London motorcycle bays. The XJ6 is currently for weekends enjoyment and trips away. So where to go? Baltic? Spain?

Any suggestion on luggage? One of the grizzled characters in the shop suggested Oxford "sling over" expandable soft luggage that could be taken off the bike and stored when not needed.

http://www.oxprod.co...id=184&pid=0&p=

Here is my luggage:

http://yamahaxj6.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=tech&action=display&thread=146

i also have a givi e33 topbox.

Here is my 2010 run to the Alps on my first XJ6:

and my 2011 on my second XJ6:

they are outstanding long-haul tourers, with decent economy to boot.

• 1 year later...

Completely forgot that I had an account on here!

I made this thread in 2010, and I'm ashamed it took me until January 2013 to get my bike license! Two days before the new law changes.

A month later, I'm a proud owner of a 2012 XJ6 F-ABS in black.

I'm annoyed its taken me so long to do it, I love it! I can't wait for the summer though, getting a bit fed up of riding in the cold.

Completely forgot that I had an account on here!

I made this thread in 2010, and I'm ashamed it took me until January 2013 to get my bike license! Two days before the new law changes.

A month later, I'm a proud owner of a 2012 XJ6 F-ABS in black.

I'm annoyed its taken me so long to do it, I love it! I can't wait for the summer though, getting a bit fed up of riding in the cold.

Great news - enjoy your 6F.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online