advanced timing

Paulwhite
This post is 5189 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all im gonna go play with an xv virago engine with xvs dragstar heads (125cc) and was wondering if anyone knew about advanced ignition timing?

iv read its supposed to allow the pressure of the combustion cycle to hit maximum on the power stroke therefor increasing efficiency and supposedly power / torque and lowering emissions but comes at a price (harder starting and choppy low revs)

anybody got any tips or views on this matter? could do with some help or ideas of how to go about it.

im going to post my findings once iv had a play but im hoping to gain just a little more efficiency which would result in a little more power :D ......hopefully lol

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey there Paulwhite,

Sorry dont know much about your question,,,,

Its something the same as having a different / lower squish on a stroker engine me thinks.

Yea, i think it does come at a price,,,,,harder starting, bad idleing,,,,,,,thats why alot of supper bikes are pushed to get them started and going, although most of the time they take the starter off to save on weight, even formula 1 race cars have trouble starting if they stall.

Maby you need the help of our member "Karen_Agusta" with her mind full of info. Send her a PM for the crack!

Anyway best of luck with your trial-run

yeah iv tried karen a while ago when i was trying to fit the dragstar heads onto the xv engine but no reply yet lol

but on further thought advanced timing is not really worth it on a 125cc (unless your racing) and is a little beyond my skills.

so iv just sorted out the timing so its set properly and re-jetted the carb to accommodate the straight through exhaust :D:D:D

its helped out loads, iv now got tones of torque and it seems to pull allot faster than b4 but iv got to get it mot'd b4 i can carry out any decent speed tests. but all seems well and the dragstar heads make a noticeable difference. so im happy .........for now B)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online