Yamaha XS400 Air Filter

akamor
This post is 5039 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey All,

I just bought a Yamaha XS400 1980. I need to replace the air filters that are inside the air boxes. I was thinking about getting air pod filters but I read that I would have to re-jet the carburetors. I am trying to make this as simple as possible so I would just like to purchase the stock air filters. I do not believe that stock air filters are made anymore so I was going to get a sheet of UNI air filter paper and make my own. I do not think it will be difficult because I still have the metal frames that go inside the air boxes so I just need an exacto knife and a glue gun. Does this seem like an OK idea? What type of UNI Air Filter paper should I purchase? I want this to be as close as possible to the stock filter so that I do not have to mess with the carburetor. Does anyone know the porosity of the original air filters?

Thanks,

Adam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

According to the parts listing at BikeBandit (USA, Texas) the air filter elements are still available but are pricey at about $39 each, although cone filters may be pricey too. The service manual instructs you to clean the O.E. filters by blowing air through the filter material from the inside out. It also says that when the filter material does not seem to come clean using the compressed air method, that the elements should be replaced. I just inspected mine on my recently purchased '80 XS400 Special and the filter material seems to be some sort of fuzzy fabric material and appears to be relatively clean with 14,xxx miles on the bike. Could also have been replaced at some time in the past. See the link below for item #10.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1980-yamaha-motorcycle-xs400sg/o/m8261

Its been done before, make your own filter using the method you described and save yourself some money!

Its been done before, make your own filter using the method you described and save yourself some money!

i have seen references to people making their own on www.xs400-forum.de but I have yet to find the thread..

if you do make one and it works good please post how you did it w/ instructions etc. :)

eek edit

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://home.arcor.de/cb450k/LuftfilterumbauCB450K.html&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&usg=ALkJrhhUm-8ua_764ExI52MTHH3WYethdg

try that

Hey All,

I just bought a Yamaha XS400 1980. I need to replace the air filters that are inside the air boxes. I was thinking about getting air pod filters but I read that I would have to re-jet the carburetors. I am trying to make this as simple as possible so I would just like to purchase the stock air filters. I do not believe that stock air filters are made anymore so I was going to get a sheet of UNI air filter paper and make my own. I do not think it will be difficult because I still have the metal frames that go inside the air boxes so I just need an exacto knife and a glue gun. Does this seem like an OK idea? What type of UNI Air Filter paper should I purchase? I want this to be as close as possible to the stock filter so that I do not have to mess with the carburetor. Does anyone know the porosity of the original air filters?

Thanks,

Adam

I went ahead and purchased the stock replacement filters. However, my local shop suggested I use K&N oiled foam and wrap it around the stock filters, after removing the fuzzy fur. Apparently others have done it with good results.

Good luck.

I went ahead and purchased the stock replacement filters. However, my local shop suggested I use K&N oiled foam and wrap it around the stock filters, after removing the fuzzy fur. Apparently others have done it with good results.

Good luck.

PS, The EMGO/'pod' filters on ebay that they claim fits 77-81 XS400 is 48mm diameter on the inside rubber and didnt fit my '78 and '77 XS400 carbs I had which diameter was about 55mm i think.

Anyone else have same problem?

I replaced the foam with foam from a lawnmower filter. I glued it at both ends with 3m 77 spray glue. It;s been 2 years and still works. A lot cheaper than 80 dollars for new ones. Yamaha parts are real expensive for consumables.

Good luck.

Could you tell me the kind of material that is used in the stock filters. Before I try to make them myself I need to know the correct material.

Thanks,

Adam

I replaced the foam with foam from a lawnmower filter. I glued it at both ends with 3m 77 spray glue. It;s been 2 years and still works. A lot cheaper than 80 dollars for new ones. Yamaha parts are real expensive for consumables.

What material did you use? I do not have an old lawnmower so I will need to go to my local shop and request the correct type of foam.

Thanks,

Adam

What material did you use? I do not have an old lawnmower so I will need to go to my local shop and request the correct type of foam.

Thanks,

Adam

i work at an acehardware and we sell lawnmower filters

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3506727&kw=air+filter+mower&origkw=air+filter+mower&searchId=49350805063

bunch of different sized ones like that... im assuming thats what to use.

im curious to know if that will work too :)

i work at an acehardware and we sell lawnmower filters

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3506727&kw=air+filter+mower&origkw=air+filter+mower&searchId=49350805063

bunch of different sized ones like that... im assuming thats what to use.

im curious to know if that will work too :)

I do not think I can just choose a random filter material. I need to know the exact material to be used otherwise my fuel to air mixture will be off.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online