Cleaned the carbs yesterday on 79 xs400

hdheritage1
This post is 5108 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I cleaned the carbs yesterday and put them back on, and it STARTED!!,even started on first time with kick start BUT is only getting gas to one cyl. opened the drain for the bowls and the right carb bowls had gas but the left or inlet side from the petcock is dry??? What can cause that? while its idling if i spray starting fluid in it will start firing but still no gas. I took the floats off very gently and the nozzle or whatever it is under the float was stuck but not on the side that is not getting gas. Please help. Also got some xs750 coils off ebay will they work on my xs400? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

need to replace the float valve, it sounds like its worn. sometimes you can just tap the float bowl (gently) to release the valve and it may work after that!

xs750 is a triple, if it has singular leads off the coil then you should be ok assuming you have contact ignition!

drewps

Ok Thanks if it needs replaced how do i remove it, does it unscrew or does it just pull out? And is there different sizes for different apps.

Thanks Drewp

you need to take the float off (it can stick and be a bugger to draw the pin out)

the needles valve will just drop out, replace the seat as well, it will come as a kit together.

drewps

thanks drewpy got it out and cleaned and it fired and running on 2 cyl. now to figure out why it wont stay running when i take the jumper cables off. any tips on that? thanks in advance

Sounds like a bad battery. These things will not run if the battery is bad. They need to have a good charge in them. It's possible your battery just needs to be charged, but if that was the battery that was sitting uncharged for any length of time, I'd replace it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online