'80 650 headlight trouble

SirBieber
This post is 5108 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So i bought a new taillight to replace that huge one in the back. The new one only has one bulb and requires 3 wires instead of the orignial one having 2 bulbs and six wires. I rerouted the wires under the fender to the end, and hardwired 3 of the original 6 wires to the new taillight. The taillight works fine now, but somwhere along the way (dont know when wasn't paying attention) i lost my headlight. My bike also originally had a light to light up the license plate, and i have just taped that off. Along the way I also blew through 2 fuses but those are now replaced. Its not the bulbs becuase neither high or low beams will work. the headlamp light on the dash is lit up. I have noticed a 6 wire connection coming from the reserve lighting device next to the fuse box and battery. The headlamp light turns off when thats disconnected. Its pretty hard to trace the wires, the previous owner was an airplance mechanic that taped off bunches of wires together, and its hard to trance anything anymore. Any suggestions, troubleshooting methods greatly appreciated. I would take pictures but my camera was stolen yesturday.

p.s turn signals, brake/taillight all work fine. just headlight is out. from what i remember the headlight only came on when the bike was actually running.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So i bought a new taillight to replace that huge one in the back. The new one only has one bulb and requires 3 wires instead of the orignial one having 2 bulbs and six wires. I rerouted the wires under the fender to the end, and hardwired 3 of the original 6 wires to the new taillight. The taillight works fine now, but somwhere along the way (dont know when wasn't paying attention) i lost my headlight. My bike also originally had a light to light up the license plate, and i have just taped that off. Along the way I also blew through 2 fuses but those are now replaced. Its not the bulbs becuase neither high or low beams will work. the headlamp light on the dash is lit up. I have noticed a 6 wire connection coming from the reserve lighting device next to the fuse box and battery. The headlamp light turns off when thats disconnected. Its pretty hard to trace the wires, the previous owner was an airplance mechanic that taped off bunches of wires together, and its hard to trance anything anymore. Any suggestions, troubleshooting methods greatly appreciated. I would take pictures but my camera was stolen yesturday.

p.s turn signals, brake/taillight all work fine. just headlight is out. from what i remember the headlight only came on when the bike was actually running.

sorry i'm no help but I have the same issue as of this week.. my headlight doesn't work and when it did work it was only when the bike was running. I too have a good bulb.. from what I was reading on older threads I read a few times that it might be the headlight relay.

...and when it did work it was only when the bike was running...

This isn't much help, but one thing I can tell you is that the headlight is only supposed to work when it's running.

I took it to a mechanic becuase I couldnt believe how complicated it was to light up one damn bulb. The headlight was not getting any power which I knew was the case. He said it was either the reserve lighting box next to the fuse box, or the headlight relay. However you can only tell which it is if you trace the wires, this is gonna be fun.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online