HELP! BREAK DOWN!!! XVS 125

christofeser
This post is 5009 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

There is one threaded end and one non-threaded end.

It is stuck in the threaded end. But heating it up + wd 40 + mole grips + dad turning the bend as i turned the grips = bolt out.

Now, to put it all back together, which I cant do, because I cant get the bloody throttle cables onto the carburettor twisty ring bit. I'm sure it's just a matter of fiddling about with it until I get the spring in etc.

Then I'm sailing in home attaching everything back on, and hopefully I'll have a working bike. Who knows! haha.

I finally got the clutch lever on - anyone else ever had trouble attaching that?

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got a picture of their carb attached to the throttle cables? Me, being stupid, forgot how they attach (and where the spring underneath goes).

I know - I'm a dipshit and should have taken pictures.

There's a few problems at the moment...

Chris

Anyone got a picture of their carb attached to the throttle cables? Me, being stupid, forgot how they attach (and where the spring underneath goes).

Chris

No, but if you take a pic of the carb and the cables then maby it could be figured out ?

Will do. One minute.

Problems at the moment include the throttle cables and the clutch cable.

I dunno - I'll get my mate to look at the clutch cable. But will get pics in a sec.

09072010002.jpg

09072010003.jpg

Riiiiiiiight the main problem is it wont spring back. Like the spring assembly under the round turney-bit which the cables are attached to doesn't seem to attach anyway?

Thanks for yer time too guys... I know I'm a pain and I don't know much and have a very vague way of describing nearly all of my problems...

Therefore I will send you all some beers afterwards. If you're local - I might even deliver them on my bike :)

Chris

Riiiiiiiight the main problem is it wont spring back. Like the spring assembly under the round turney-bit which the cables are attached to doesn't seem to attach anyway?

Thanks for yer time too guys... I know I'm a pain and I don't know much and have a very vague way of describing nearly all of my problems...

Therefore I will send you all some beers afterwards. If you're local - I might even deliver them on my bike :)

Chris

It should spring back so the spring under the "round turney-bit" must be off somewhere me thinks. Play arround with it and ya might figure it out.

ps.dont worry about my pint, it would be well spilt by the time ya get overhere :D:eusa_dance:

FIGURED IT OUT.

Are you saying something about my mechanical skills! haha

No, seriously, I'm sh1t. haha.

I feel like a few pints tonight though - seeing how hot it is!

Are you saying something about my mechanical skills! haha

Nope, just saying there'll be no beer left in the glass after the long trip.

Are ya at the stage of just hooking everything up and giving it a whirl?

Well the new engine is bolted in so... yeah I guess! I bet it doesn't bloody work when I do. haha.

If it doesn't - I'll resign it and send it to the mechanics to fit. And I bet he tells me I buggered it all up. haha.

Has anyone else ever got nervous after doing their own work?! ahahahaha.

And yeah, everything should slot into place but - inevitable - doesn't hah.

I can't remember the comedian who said that when they take something apart, and put it back together, they're always left with screws and bolts they didn't re-attach yet can't find where they belong. But that's not a problem. That's called efficiency. They do the same job with LESS PARTS.

haha. no. that's not my philosophy btw.

I HAVE A WORKING BIKE!

STARTED THE ENGINE UP THIS MORNING AND IT WORKS! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'M OVER THE MOON

Haven't tested it on the road yet though.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeers

Chris

if its not running properly i.e feels slow, sluggish or just not right then give me a bell and i can tell you how to sort ur carb :D might need doin but might not. glad you have sorted it m8 now all you need to do is get it re- registered with the new engine then sort the piston rings on the old engine lol :D then you can sell that one :D but yeah nice one m8.

Fair play to ya Chris,

That wasnt to hard was it !

See now how much more ya know about your bike, will come in handy in the future.

After a week or so recheck the engine mounting bolts for tightness.

Happy and safe motoring, B)

IT WAS ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS EVER. Only made worse by the fact that I was working outside on my south-facing drive. ach. sunburn much?

Yeah it doesn't QUITE sound normal - I still need to properly spring the throttle cables (I think it's just giving the spring underneath on the carb another twisty roung). But yeah, it's running a bit strangely. But then again - it's a new engine - this time with working pistons (I hope/should expect!) so I don't really know what "normal" is.

So what needs doing to the carb - exactly? :P

Chris

well the carb is normally set to the engine and because every engine is slightly different the carb will be slightly off but its an easy fix especially when you compare it to an engine swap lol :D if you warm up the engine then go on a road try and hit top speed then when u get back take ur spark plugs out (front and back) and post a picture up then i can see what the carb is up to and if it needs adjusting.

could also explain why it sounds a bit weird. but sort that spring out. it should be as tight as you can get it (and its really tricky to put back on tight) i found the best way was to take the carb off and undo the bolt to the round bit that ur throttle connects to (but dont take it off!) and twist it round so that it tightens the spring, then do up the bolt and put back together. its fiddly and will probably take 2 - 3 attempts but it will sort it out. then when you get a pic up of ur spark plugs i can go through what you need to do to ur carb.

could even tune it up a little if you wanted lol :D

Right I just took it across Kingston Upon Thames (along the river) to see me nan and it worked fine (although the throttle not springing back very much was a bit annoying) so gonna give that a fix before riding to work tomorrow...

11072010.jpg

11072010002.jpg

11072010001.jpg

Sorry I couldn't get it any clearer mate.

Damn, this means I have to take it all apart again haha.

I'll PM you my mob. number - could be easier.

Chris

good grief they are poor photos lol :blink: well iv never got any credit but il pm u my number then if you wanted to ring me you can lol

its hard to determine what needs doing without any photos as i need to se clearly what color the end of the plugs are, have you got a m8 with a good mobile phone who could take a pic and put it on ur computer for you to post on here?

I'll nick me dad's camera when he's out tomorrow morning...

It seems to be running nicely though... I've sorted the spring and cables etc out - and got the right idling speed (I didn't notice how high it was when I first jammed it in and then turned it on and vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom! it almost took off. haha)

Anyway I'll ring ya tomorrow because of one thing taking up my whole evening. WORLD CUP!

Chris

lol ok m8 dont blame u lol but iv taken some pics of what they should look like :D

100711_191108.jpg

100711_190951.jpg

if there darker then dont worry about them but if there lighter then you need to sort it :D

Ummmmm

They LOOK a bit lighter - you've got like black stuff on that right???

There doesn't seem to be too much of that precipitate :P - seem a bit "cleaner"???

Chris

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online