HELP! BREAK DOWN!!! XVS 125

christofeser
This post is 5027 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noo.

Okay so there's a bendy bit between where the engine has a hole and the exhaust starts... the bit that links this bend to the actual exhaust pipe - one of the bolts I had to behead.

So I need to take it out to re-attach the exhaust to it, and then attach the whole thing to the new engine.

seeeeee?

Was gonna post photo's earlier but camera is up the swannie.

As I said, It's the little bend that links the engine and the exhaust pipes.

Theres like a rusted screw in the rusted bend. grr.

How much ya want for your bendy bit Paul???

Chris

Was gonna post photo's earlier but camera is up the swannie.

As I said, It's the little bend that links the engine and the exhaust pipes.

Theres like a rusted screw in the rusted bend. grr.

How much ya want for your bendy bit Paul???

Chris

I can't fully picture what your on-about so sorrs i cant help !

Camera's working again - just needed a re-charge it seems. Give it 10 mins, I'll have them pics up.

EDIT

no it's not.

Let me try to describe it again.

If you're looking at a picture, follow the top exhaust up the vertical bit until it ends and gets to the attachment. The bit that it attaches to isn't part of the exhaust nor the engine, rather a joining bit - a "bend" between the exhaust and engine.

THAT bit.

Chris

Camera's working again - just needed a re-charge it seems. Give it 10 mins, I'll have them pics up.

EDIT

no it's not.

Let me try to describe it again.

If you're looking at a picture, follow the top exhaust up the vertical bit until it ends and gets to the attachment. The bit that it attaches to isn't part of the exhaust nor the engine, rather a joining bit - a "bend" between the exhaust and engine.

THAT bit.

Chris

Cant picture it, anyway

Try heating it up with a blow-tourch where the bent bolt is in, then spray it with wd40 then leave it for a bit, then do it again and on the 3rd time you heat it up spray with wd40 and grab the bolt with a very firm grip of a vice-grips(munkey wrench). DONT try to turn the bolt round straight away-----start by turning it VERY LITTLE bits to the left and right, hope fully this will start to get it loose. Keep it relatively hot all the time and as the bolt starts to move a bit,,,,,,gently go a bit further loosening it each time.

Hope im on the right track as to what you are trying to do.

ps. didnt know ya edited the post, sorrs for the delay. Good Luck

That sounds about right.

Um, yeah it's not the bolt that's bent - it's the bent bit it goes into :P

The bolt is straight with no head (from where I cut it off)... so it may be a bit harder.

I'll have to find a torch from somewhere... and I'm sure if got some MOLE grips somewhere :P

Chris

That sounds about right.

Um, yeah it's not the bolt that's bent - it's the bent bit it goes into :P

The bolt is straight with no head (from where I cut it off)... so it may be a bit harder.

I'll have to find a torch from somewhere... and I'm sure if got some MOLE grips somewhere :P

Chris

So ya dont want the bolt out do ya? last post was for getting a bolt that was stuck Out.

So what you want to do is.....straighten the bendy bit because its bent????

We realy need a pic of the piece were talking about.

Chris

Chris its about time you sorted a camera, everybody and his dog has a camera, even mobile phones have em.

using mole grips may be risky might be better to have a nut welded onto the broken stud, this has the added benefit of heating the thing up as well, mole grips can grind down and chew up the stud especially of the stud isnt the full lenth of the jaws. However you can help this situ if you place something of equal diameter in the opposite end of the jaw, it keeps the jaws parallel.

But all this is a guess as i cant see what the problem is....dohhhh!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

08072010.jpg

See, that bit, that links the exhaust to the engine. Notice the half a bolt sticking out...

08072010002.jpg

They were taken on a phone - sorry for bad quality.

I'm not too keen on welding - I've never really welded before. In fact, using a torch is quite daunting. I'm only 17 and have previously got my dad to do everything for me.

Yes, I do live with my dad. Yes, he doesn't condone me having a bike. Yes, he refuses to help with it.

Yet - he paid £200 to get me recovered the other week, and lent me £350 for a new engine. Oh, and I'm using all his tools :P

Chris

ok leave it soaking in diesel oil (just the end) overnight. Then heat it around the exhaust adapter flange where the bolt is, If you havent even got a bench with a vise I suggest you take it to a garage or kwik fit centre etc, or engineers local to you and let them do it for you. If you have got a vise then dont overtighten it or you will be in sh1t st if you break it, Mr Yamaha will want lots of you pocket money to replace it.

hahaha

I love the way people put things on the forum :P

Um - any proposition where I should get diesel oil from at 22.30 ???

Lol

I have a bench, and a vice, and some grips, and a torch. Or at least - I know my daddy does :)

Chris

hahaha

I love the way people put things on the forum :P

Um - any proposition where I should get diesel oil from at 22.30 ???

Lol

I have a bench, and a vice, and some grips, and a torch. Or at least - I know my daddy does :)

Chris

no idea Chris, maybe you could get some tomorrow and leave it soaking tomorrow night ;)

:o What...too impatient, well then spray it with easing oil, leave that soaking and keep topping it up. then tomorrow heat it up, take care not to overtighten the vise as i said

Tip... When you get a good tight grip with the mole grips I always rock the screw back and forth, on many occasions you will feel it move even if only slightly and then bind again...DO NOT...continue in the same direction when it binds but move the opposite way until it binds the other way

etc etc etc etc

you will notice that the distance it moves gradually increases, give it a spray now and again good luck and i'm away as from tomorrow so I wont be able to see how you get on until Sunday

Cheers...Paul

I'll wait for tomorrow.

If I can't do it, I'll pop down the mechs down the road. They SHOULD be able to do it right?

Anyway,

I'm off to bed.

Cheeeers for all the great replys guys :)

Chris

... see?

seeeeee?

See, that bit,

Aaaaaa Chris,

It is only now that we can SEE what yaur on about.

Aye, go ahead and give it a shot like Oldgit say's, Take your time.

If it brakes post again and well try another way,,,,it ya have the tools !!

hit it with a hammer! it dont screw into the joint its just straight through! so give it a good whack and it should come out and il give you mine for nowt! just pay for postage and package done. :D

Okay I'll whack it.

But but but if it breaks I'm screwed. How can it NOT thread? How is it held in?!

lol

I'll trytrytry

Chris

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online