TT600L 84

johanv
This post is 5112 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Bought a 84 TT600L it's got a dry sump the manual says it takes 2.4l of oil but when i drained the oil there was almost 3l of oil in it but the oil doesn't show on the dipstick even after the motor ran for a while and if i open the bleed screw on top of the oil filter while the engine is running there is no oil coming out fitted new oil pump but still no oil help please

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Bought a 84 TT600L it's got a dry sump the manual says it takes 2.4l of oil but when i drained the oil there was almost 3l of oil in it but the oil doesn't show on the dipstick even after the motor ran for a while and if i open the bleed screw on top of the oil filter while the engine is running there is no oil coming out fitted new oil pump but still no oil help please

The dry sump does take a whie to fill, you need to run the bike for a good while before taking the reading. When you loosen the bleed screw oil should seep out (if you remove the screw then the oid should hit the roof - literaly!). After a minute or so, if you've not seen any oil then it could be that your oil pump needs primed as it's got a air lock in it.

Running the engine in this state isn't advised ! but the only real way of sorting this is to turn the motor over, so I'd be inclined to whip out the plug, take out the bleed screw and kick her over until you see some oil.

Of course, it could be shomething else, like the oil pickup isn't fitted right, or a part not tightened up - it's always a possibility (especialy with me !), but the first thing would be getting some oil in that pump.

PS - The capacity of the oil is dependant on what you did. 2.4l for a normal oil change, 2.5 if you did a filter, but as you removed the oil pump it will need the full 3l. What you should have done, was prime (put some oil in it) the pump when you fitted it.

The dry sump does take a whie to fill, you need to run the bike for a good while before taking the reading. When you loosen the bleed screw oil should seep out (if you remove the screw then the oid should hit the roof - literaly!). After a minute or so, if you've not seen any oil then it could be that your oil pump needs primed as it's got a air lock in it.

Running the engine in this state isn't advised ! but the only real way of sorting this is to turn the motor over, so I'd be inclined to whip out the plug, take out the bleed screw and kick her over until you see some oil.

Of course, it could be shomething else, like the oil pickup isn't fitted right, or a part not tightened up - it's always a possibility (especialy with me !), but the first thing would be getting some oil in that pump.

PS - The capacity of the oil is dependant on what you did. 2.4l for a normal oil change, 2.5 if you did a filter, but as you removed the oil pump it will need the full 3l. What you should have done, was prime (put some oil in it) the pump when you fitted it.