The best cover for YBR 125

Biggish Al
This post is 4699 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As you can probably guess from the title, I'm looking for the best cover for a YBR 125. I haven't got a garage and the bike will be chained up outside my house to a lamppost. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've got the cheap one from Argos. Got a hook for the underside, so it won't blow away, and has vents near the mirrors so the vapour can escape.

Last year, the bike was out of use (I was on holiday) for around 4 months. Not one spec of rust on it. Needed a clean, though obviously.

Link is here: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7400311/Trail/searchtext%3EMOTORCYCLE.htm

EDIT: Also, chaining to a lamppost isn't the best of ideas, as it's council property. I have a friend who got a ticket for doing that. Use the luggage straps to put the chain through the back wheel, and get yourself an Oxford Disk Lock as well (£26 from Argos)

That'd also help your insurance, too.

• 2 weeks later...

wait. Hang on a sec... This is in the insurance section...

COMPLETELY ignore my last post!!

My Cover is with Bennets. I'm a L plate warrior that's been riding for just over a year. 1 year NCB and my insurance is for a showroom new YBR125 in red.

My quote is £138 for the year..

Sorry for the dumbness in the other post! :lol:

Tom

wait. Hang on a sec... This is in the insurance section...

COMPLETELY ignore my last post!!

My Cover is with Bennets. I'm a L plate warrior that's been riding for just over a year. 1 year NCB and my insurance is for a showroom new YBR125 in red.

My quote is £138 for the year..

Sorry for the dumbness in the other post!  :lol:

Tom

I thought exactly the same as you Hughsie  :lol:

£138 a year.. is that 3rd party only ? :o

Yeah, third party only. I live in a private estate, which is a mile or two away from "civilisation" so there's not much chance of my bike getting nicked.

The bike itself is cheap as chips to repair incase anything DOES happen, so there's not a problem with forking out myself.

Also, I'm not going to ride anyone else's bike this year, so TPO is perfect for me. Insurance for the sake of the law ;)

Last year... YBR cost me £150 with motorcycle direct TPF+T,

Renewal came through this year, £116.

Before the renewal date, bike got stolen, renewal went up to £284!

Dumped them and now with Swinton Bikes, £159.

They couldn't nick all the bike btw, I've still got the front wheel with lock attached! If you're going to chain it to a lamp post, make sure it's part of the bike that's not easy to remove.

• 1 month later...

Last year... YBR cost me £150 with motorcycle direct TPF+T,

Renewal came through this year, £116.

Before the renewal date, bike got stolen, renewal went up to £284!

Dumped them and now with Swinton Bikes, £159.

They couldn't nick all the bike btw, I've still got the front wheel with lock attached! If you're going to chain it to a lamp post, make sure it's part of the bike that's not easy to remove.

Interestingly what chain you use can highly affect your insurance.

I went back and forwards in the quote selecting various different chains I could find on online shops and this chain: ABUS PLATINUM CHAIN 34CS55 10KS/140CM

knocked my quote down significantly. So i went and bought it and took out the insurance with Swinton.

Don't ask me how much I can't remember off the top of my head.

• 5 months later...

I did a lot of searching and found even though The Bike Insurer claimed they had the cheapest quotes for various companies, both Motorcycle News and Tesco quoted cheaper. I went with MCE for £160 TPF&T including breakdown and legal. The bike is chained to a concreted in ground anchor and has a cover. It is right next to a lamp post, but a ground anchor means the chain is not trailing along the pavement and is harder to get at to cut.

I did have an issue with MCE in that it took 5 emails and 2 weeks to get the documents through.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This seems mighty cheap, but I've just had a quote from Bennetts for £95.02(!!) for my YBR125. That's TPF&T, with it parked off road, but not in a garage. I've also never riden a motorbike on the road before and have only just passed my CBT... is this too good to be true?

Sounds like a brilliant deal! Check the small print and take it if you see no problems.

I'm switching from a YBR 125 to a Fazer FZS 600 myself tomorrow... insurance for my YBR was £159/year and has just over a month left to run.

The Fazer was quoted at £201 at renewal from my existing insurer and only £20 to switch policies over until that date - bargain!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online