'78 XS400 ignition switch question

rmal
This post is 5204 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm building an XS400 bobber and I'd like to eliminate the ignition switch and replace it with a simple on/off toggle. I have a water-proof, 50 amp switch. The ignition switch has three wires - two are obviously the heavy amperage main wires which I figure are the ones I need to wire to the switch. But, there is a smaller diameter third wire coming out of the keyed ignition switch.

Any thoughts as to what I need to connect this to? The pos or neg side terminal - does it matter? Am I being too simple here assuming I can replace the keyed switch with a simple toggle?

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

xs1%20copy.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if its blue i think it will be headlamp.

get a online manual located in the xs400 sticky in the classic section (pioneerx links works)

I have the manual - see a section of the manual below. The ignition switch is called the "Main Switch". There are three wires - red R, brown Br and blue L. The red and brown are slightly thicker. The manual shows the Red wire goes to the tail/brake light. The Brown goes to the fuse box. The Blue also goes to the fuse box.

I would like to use a toggle switch - examples shown. Either one - which ever makes sense. One has two lugs, simply positive and negative. The other has three lugs - pos, neg and Load?.

Any suggestion as to which switch I should use and how to wire it.

I should have pad attention in circuits....

Thanks.

wiring.jpg

tog1.jpg

tog2.jpg

to me (i've had a few pints at this point)

red, blue and brown are connected when the switch is in the "on" mode

in park "P" mode, Red and blue are connected which enables the lights to work independantly of ignition.

my igntion switch had a fourth wire to the main beam switch, which i soldered in