1974 DT250

This post is 5206 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I just picked up a 74 dt250 in very decent condition. It runs, goes through the gears, brakes etc, and is just a bit faded on the gas tank and front and rear fenders. IT does not have a title and I got it for $300 at an action. I wanted it to basically ride back and forth to work (10 miles round trip) and ride around on the fire trails here in Northern AZ; nothing extreme but I will require it to climb hills. Needs new tires, carb work (I think), and basic oil and fluid changes to get it running well.

I rode it back from the action, and every 10 mins or so the bike would cut out. Two kicks later I am back up and running for another 10 mins then it kicks out again... I am thinking it might be a slight leak in the carb (maybe the float bowl is going empty to soon?) or just a clogged jet. So my first step is to take off the carb, replace all gaskets and clean. ANyone got any ideas about this one?

Also I am looking for an ignition (checked ebay) because the bike came without a key. Still starts when kicked, but I want the lights and such to work if I am going to make it street legal. Does anyone have a lead on a conversion chart of parts from other years that will work with the 74?

Thanks!!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome the forum :D

Check for a good strong flow of fuel, pull off the pipe from the carb spigot and run fuel off into a container, there is a strainer mesh in the petrol tap.

Also check the petrol tank cap vent is clear.

...Paul

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online