Yamaha DT125R

This post is 5205 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am a complete mechanical novice, and have taken ownership over a very neglected DT125R, and have sought, and received help here, when I first took the bike over, under the title of "help needed", about how to begin recovering it to a road worthy state.

I am now at the stage of re-fitting the carburettor I have cleaned, and after further advice,I have also replaced the reeds in the reed block.

Firstly, whilst using the torque wrench, set to 1.0 for the reed block assembly bolts, as instructed in the manual, one of the bolts sheared off in the housing, and now I am worried that if I ever have to remove the reed block housing again, I am only going to have a very difficult time. Have I got to remove, somehow, the snapped bolt now? as the reed block housing feels very secure, can anyone explain why it snapped, and the others never, and offer any advice/tips of what I should do?

Secondly, there was a small piece of pipe already snapped off on the R/H/Side of the carburettor, above the port where the fuel pipe connects, and slightly behind the oil warmer pipe port, and there was no evidence of what it should be connecting?, and I can not, (probably due to gross ignorance) find in the manual what the port is? the snapped pipe is connected to, and what its role is in the carburettor operation.

file:///C:/Users/Robbie/Pictures/Motorbikes/Carb.jpg

(If you highlight this file address, then right click on it, scroll down to Robbie/Pictures/Motorbike, then left click, it will open a picture I have taken, and hopefully will make things a lot clearer, what I am trying to explain)

I would be most grateful for any assistance, as even though greatly frustrated by the massive learning curve I am on, I am still enjoying myself, and the bike is looking 100% better already!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Robbie either there is something wrong with your torque wrench, or you had it set wrong. It has to be one hell of a way out to actuelly shear the bolt!

If you are so much a novice as even needing a torgue wrench when only a nip was required then I would cross your fingers, smear some liguid silicone gasket around the flange and leave well alone because it is going to be a big job to get that sheared bolt out, if indeed it can be done.

That picture link ?? see FAQ's for posting oictures. ;)

Robbie either there is something wrong with your torque wrench, or you had it set wrong. It has to be one hell of a way out to actuelly shear the bolt!

If you are so much a novice as even needing a torgue wrench when only a nip was required then I would cross your fingers, smear some liguid silicone gasket around the flange and leave well alone because it is going to be a big job to get that sheared bolt out, if indeed it can be done.

That picture link ?? see FAQ's for posting oictures. ;)

Thanks for that.

Just highlighted the link, then scrolled down to Robbies pictures, and left clicked on it to see if it would open, seemed to open ok,

Hope you can open it, as I still need advice on the "missing pipe"?

many thanks

Thanks for that.

Just highlighted the link, then scrolled down to Robbies pictures, and left clicked on it to see if it would open, seemed to open ok,

many thanks

Nope, sorry but the highlight thing doesnt work. There is no Robbies pictures.

See FAQ.

IMG_0495.jpg

Thanks for that.

many thanks

Hey Robbie,

You are adding a link to a file on your computer and that is why it works for you and not for us.

Follow any of the instructions here http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=14685http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=14685

Vez.

Hey Robbie,

You are adding a link to a file on your computer and that is why it works for you and not for us.

Follow any of the instructions here http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=14685http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=14685

Vez.

I have opened my photobucket album account, so hopefully now I will have the photo to help with my enquiry, fingers crossed.

Cheers

Robbie.

photobucketCarb.jpg

I have opened my photobucket album account, so hopefully now I will have the photo to help with my enquiry, fingers crossed.

Cheers

Robbie.

photobucketCarb.jpg

nearly Robbie.

You need to paste only the address without the [ IMG ] tags when you click the "insert image" button while posting.

Carb.jpg

The pipe in question is only a breather pipe and is nothing to worry about. If you wanted to you could fit a longer pipe to it, say 8-10" long, and run the pipe out of the way of the engine. Usually to the area where the swingarm meets the frame on the right hand side, you will find a small wire square shaped bracket that is for the various breather/overflow pipes to sit in.

What you do need to worry about is the top hose in the picture, it is another warmer hose and NOT an oil delivery pipe. There should be 2 hoses coming from the top of the cylinder head (1 on the head itself and another on the side of the thermostat housing) that attach to the two in the picture.

Hope this is clear and helps. 

Vez.

nearly Robbie.

You need to paste only the address without the [ IMG ] tags when you click the "insert image" button while posting.

Carb.jpg

The pipe in question is only a breather pipe and is nothing to worry about. If you wanted to you could fit a longer pipe to it, say 8-10" long, and run the pipe out of the way of the engine. Usually to the area where the swingarm meets the frame on the right hand side, you will find a small wire square shaped bracket that is for the various breather/overflow pipes to sit in.

What you do need to worry about is the top hose in the picture, it is another warmer hose and NOT an oil delivery pipe. There should be 2 hoses coming from the top of the cylinder head (1 on the head itself and another on the side of the thermostat housing) that attach to the two in the picture.

Hope this is clear and helps. 

Vez.

Yes,thank-you very much Vez,

that has cleared things nicely, and helps greatly.

I was a little confused, and worried that if I continued further without being sure, I could possibly cause myself further problems.

I was not sure what the top hose's identity was? and could not identify it from my manual, and as you have told me, is exactly how it is, with the two hoses coming from the top of the cylinder head,(1 on the head itself and another on the side of the thermostat housing), and I have actually attatched them as you have said I should.

There is the hose running from the 2 stroke oil tank, to the oil pump, with the small bore oil feed pipe running to the reed housing/inlet stub. Do I need to bleed this pipe? If so, do you have any advice/tips?

Many thanks

Robbie

Yes,thank-you very much Vez,

that has cleared things nicely, and helps greatly.

I was a little confused, and worried that if I continued further without being sure, I could possibly cause myself further problems.

I was not sure what the top hose's identity was? and could not identify it from my manual, and as you have told me, is exactly  how it is, with the two hoses coming from the top of the cylinder head,(1 on the head itself and another on the side of the thermostat housing), and I have actually attatched them as you have said I should.

There is the hose running from the 2 stroke oil tank, to the oil pump, with the small bore oil feed pipe running to the reed housing/inlet stub. Do I need to bleed this pipe? If so, do you have any advice/tips?

Many thanks

Robbie

You can bleed the oil pump, but not the actual pipe, there is a small cross head screw at the bottom of the 2-stroke oil pump, just remove the screw and let the oil trickle out until there is no air bubbles coming out with the oil.

Vez.

You can bleed the oil pump, but not the actual pipe, there is a small cross head screw at the bottom of the 2-stroke oil pump, just remove the screw and let the oil trickle out until there is no air bubbles coming out with the oil.

Vez.

Many thanks again Vez,

sure I am going to be needing yours, and the "old gits" help much more, before I am finished!

Robbie

Vez.

on my oil pump it has a plastic cap held on with a clip instead of a screw :o personally I would rather have a screw..te he :D

Anyway there is something you should do when first starting the bike. Remove the oil pump cover and with the bike idling, turn the pulley until it stops this will allow the pump to stroke at its maximum, and will quickly fill the oil delivery pipe...around 30 seconds should do it. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online