Which engine oil for XJ600N 1998 Model

exile1973
This post is 5203 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've recently purchased a Yamaha XJ600N (1998) model and need to top the engine oil up. After advice at halfords I have Castrol Power1 GPS 4t 10W-30.

Is this the correct oil for summer riding I am just a little unsure as the oil is red, and the oil currently in the sight glass is golden in colour. IIs it ok to mix these, and do I need 20W40 as temperature is higher at the moment?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I normally go with the 10/40, the stuff you have is lighter, if you look at the container it will give you a temperature rating, and no dont mix oils, get it drained, new filters (air as well as oil) B)

I normally go with the 10/40, the stuff you have is lighter, if you look at the container it will give you a temperature rating, and no dont mix oils, get it drained, new filters (air as well as oil) B)

Ok - thanks for that.

I thought the W rating was the weight and the 30/40 the temperature guide (nohing on the container about temp rating)

edit: just done some web search and it's the difference between cold and operating temperature viscosity - will the 30 be sufficiently thick at operating temperature?

Will get it drained though and new filters in

Edited by exile1973

Make sure it's semi-synthetic.

I always use Castrol Power 1 GPS 10/40 which is red.

I might be wrong here but I think 10/30 is thinner and is more suitable for winter.