Stuck Rear Brake Piston

gibbo1975
This post is 5206 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi again folks

Yet another problem on my DT 125 R.Im wanting to change the rear brake caliper piston and seals as it seems to be ceased. No matter wat i try i can not get the old piston out. Does any1 have any ideas of how i can get the piston out. Dont have a garage or anything so doin it in my back yard.

Many thanks in advance

Lee

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi again folks

Yet another problem on my DT 125 R.Im wanting to change the rear brake caliper piston and seals as it seems to be ceased. No matter wat i try i can not get the old piston out. Does any1 have any ideas of how i can get the piston out. Dont have a garage or anything so doin it in my back yard.

Many thanks in advance

Lee

Leave the caliper conected to the brake line but take the caliper off the bike.

Boil the kettle

Get a towl and put it in the sink

pour the water from the kettle into sink soaking the towl

Get gloves and bring the roasting towl out and wrap it arround the caliper

leave it wrapper on there and boil the kettle again

before the towl starts to cool down pour the hot water from kettle on it again

anytime now you can start to pump the brake leaver hard and this should eventualy push out the piston

What you are trying to do is heat up the calliper quickely without heating he piston, This should give you enough room to free the piston

Good luck. There are other methods also but if ya dont have any tools then this is your best bet.

i've used a variable grip and turned the piston around whilst pulling, evetually it come out

i've used a variable grip and turned the piston around whilst pulling, evetually it come out

yeah that works for me! take caliper off, get someone to push the brake lever in while you get some grips on it , twist and pull. :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online