front brake system on my xt125r

This post is 5194 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

dont know if anyone knows how to pressurise the front brake. basically some numb nuts over tightened the fixing on my front caliper and threaded the pin so ive since had it helicoiled to save cash on buying a new caliper. so far ive refitted the caliper and the hose to the correct torques that i found in my haynes manual. ive bled the hose and and made sure theres no air in the system. i was told to put a clear pipe on the nipple so you can see the air which has been done. ive then closed the nipple and pumped the brake for ages re-opened and closed the nipple and pumped again. i cant find any leaks anywhere but i just cant get it pressurise...

HELP ME!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

dont know if anyone knows how to pressurise the front brake. basically some numb nuts over tightened the fixing on my front caliper and threaded the pin so ive since had it helicoiled to save cash on buying a new caliper. so far ive refitted the caliper and the hose to the correct torques that i found in my haynes manual. ive bled the hose and and made sure theres no air in the system. i was told to put a clear pipe on the nipple so you can see the air which has been done. ive then closed the nipple and pumped the brake for ages re-opened and closed the nipple and pumped again. i cant find any leaks anywhere but i just cant get it pressurise...

HELP ME!

Close the bleed nipple

Pump the brake leaver 3 times and then on the 4th time you need to hold the brake leaver in while opening the bleed nipple at the same time.

You then have to close the bleed nipple before the brake leaver gets to the fully in position.

Repeat this a few times till you see nothing but pure brake-fluid comming out of the nipple.

Dont let the resivoir on the handlebars drop below the min fluid mark or you will have to start again.

Thats all there is to bleeding the brake so if this doesnt work then there might be something up with your caliper.

Hope this gets ya sorted.

Close the bleed nipple

Pump the brake leaver 3 times and then on the 4th time you need to hold the brake leaver in while opening the bleed nipple at the same time.

You then have to close the bleed nipple before the brake leaver gets to the fully in position.

Repeat this a few times till you see nothing but pure brake-fluid comming out of the nipple.

Dont let the resivoir on the handlebars drop below the min fluid mark or you will have to start again.

Thats all there is to bleeding the brake so if this doesnt work then there might be something up with your caliper.

Hope this gets ya sorted.

on the 4th pump theres just no resistance whatsoever. so by the fully in position do you mean after it has taken away the resistance by opening the nipple?

thanks for your help.

on the 4th pump theres just no resistance whatsoever. so by the fully in position do you mean after it has taken away the resistance by opening the nipple?

thanks for your help.

So, you are saying that, with the nipple closed and you pump the brake leaver 4 times there is no resistance at all ?

Top up with Dot4 brake fluid and put the cover back on over the resivoir.

Keep the nipple closed.

Pump the brake leaver a few times, there should be a slight bit of resistance on it after this.

Then on the last time you pump the leaver you need to hold it on (front brake on). While you have it held on you need to slowly open the bleed nipple at the same time.

Oil will flow out and hopefully some bubbles along with it. BUT as this is happening the leaver is traveling in all the time, so before it gets all the way in (toutches the handlebar) You need to close the bleed nipple. Then with the bleed nipple still closed start pumping the brake leaver again and repeat the process all over again till there is no more bubbles coming out with the brake fluid.

If the resivior at the handlebar ever ran low or dry this process could take up to 10 times to get the last bit of air out of the system.

managed to sort it out. i asked a mechanic in the local bike retailers and he told me to raise the caliper above my head to get the resistance in the leaver. once i had resistance in the leaver it was pretty easy from there.

thanks anyway.

Personally i use a scottoiler bottle. Clean it, add some clean fluid sluice the bottle throwing out the old now possibly contaminated fluid.

Connect to bleed nipple at caliper, squeese to add fluid keeping an eye on the resivoir. No pumping, no air worries and very little fluid needed. Solid lever at the finish. 20 mins with a cuppa ;) .

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online