XVS950a Screens

WelshDrew
This post is 5191 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have recently bought the xvs950a Midnight Star, my first cruiser, the bike is a real pleasure to ride but I am supprised at the amount of buffeting at higher speeds. I don't really want to make significant changes to the style of the bike but I am considering a short screen. How much of a difference will it make and any suggestions on makes, styles and suppliers (UK delivery).

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is it the Yammie screen you have? Is it general buffeting or buffeting around the head?

I've a 1300 and the Yammie screens I've seen are really quite tall, but I don't know the 950. General rule is that you should be able to see over the top of the screen, some say your eyes should fall about 30 feet or so ahead if you sight along the top of the screen.

I've fitted a short Show Chrome screen and initially I got some buffet. Altered the angle and that made it better. Just recently fitted couple of spots and the buffeting has gone completely - must have altered the air flow under the bottom of the screen..not complaining!!

Otherwise, if you search this site or the other Yam Custom forums, you'll find masses of tips about buffeting. There's no quick answer, mostly trial and error. On the 1300, fitting lowers is a common mod to reduce buffeting.

Have a word with Alchemy Bikes in Letchworth - Roy there is pretty knowledgable and they stock lots of stuff. I'm sure he'll have some options for you.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I agree about Alchemy Bikes, they were very helpful, made the trip there last week - added a Custom Wings screen, sissy bar and saddle bags.

The screen is large so has completly stopped the full body buffeting, makes a huge difference when accelerating and the whole ride is more relaxed. Will keep adjusting to best limit the buffeting arround the head and thanks for the tip about the spots, I didn't consider reducing airflow under the screen so will add them to the list, when the purse strings loosen a bit.

As Jim says, ensure you can see over the top of the screen - I have the Yammy tall screen on my 1300 and look through it - it's great for stopping the wind but leathal in the rain!

[i've just made a bracket to tilt the screen so I can see over the top, but am not sure if the tilt is too much...? Will test ride it tomorrow]

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online