turn signal wiring help

Seca400Monster
This post is 5174 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am trying install new front and rear LED turn signals and I am having a lot of trouble finding where to connect them. I have a load equalizer and a full front and rear turn signal kit. The wiring going to the rear (from the bike) is one brown wire and one green wire, from the turn signals it is one red and one black (for both). I am not sure if the two red wires connect with the green and brown wires and both black wires are for ground. On the front I have only been able to find one wire that I think is a signal wire. I have taken apart the turn signal switch and everything works. If anyone knows anything about this, or turn signal wiring at all, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jimmy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its not that scary honest. The confusing thing is the bike uses the frame as an earth return path to the battery. Should you wish to, taking a line from the '-' terminal of the battery to a convenient point at the rear of the bike is no bad thing and if you link it to the frame with a sound connection at the rear of the bike it may well save problems in the future with the earth path. Normally a bad point on older bikes.

The green and brown will be the live feed to the signals, one to the right one to the left. I'm not familiar with your bike but its most likely dark green for the right and dark brown to the left.

At the front there should be connectors behind the headlight that are also these colours and obviously you will connect into those. Be aware there is in all likelyhood also a lighter brown (Per live) and a brown with a (fine)white tracer(sw live). Make sure you don't confuse the dark brown for these or you may have some odd things happening.

As to the signals themselves, red is live, connect that to the green or brown as appropriate. Connect the black to a suitable earth point or as said run an extra from the battery.

If you have an LED kit complete then you should have some method of slowing the flash rate down, possibly a different relay or resistors to increace the load on your std relay. Where you will find the relay .??. dunno.

One last thing do you have 1 or 2 lights in the dash to show whats happening with the indicators. If you only have one you may get all the lights flashing at once, its relitively easy to fix and may not be an issue but i figured you might as well know. Save some panic later. :P

Hope this helps.

If anyone knows anything about this, or turn signal wiring at all, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jimmy

starting from scratch you need a 3 pin flasher rely

connect a wire that is live when the ignition is on to + on the rely

connect the rely - to an earth point on the frame

the last pin is the feed to the switch when the live current enters the rely the power is constant however when it leaves down this wire its now pulseing on an off hence making the indicators flash

with this wire connected to the switch find both right hand side indicator an connect both their live wires to one wire from the switch

do the same for the left handside then connect the earths either to the -on rely or to the frame

Does anyone know where I would find the flasher relay and where it is located on the bike?

on my xvs its near the batterywith the fuses etc

try googling it atleast you will know what it looks like then

on my xvs its near the batterywith the fuses etc

try googling it atleast you will know what it looks like then

i found this on the bay its for 1992 model but looks similar to the one on my xvs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-XJ600-Flasher-Relay-Seca-1992-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem58875610b6QQitemZ380227686582QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

on the xvs its located on the left hand side near the battery remove the housing that covers the battery an should find it

suprised no one else has replyed to be honest

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everybody for all the help, signals are working great.

Great news.

Thanks for the follow up. :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online