xs 400 compression issues

tinymotorcycle
This post is 5208 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

okay i am a newbie but i could not find this problem anywhere on the forums so I'm sorry if this has been posted somewhere already.

I ran my bike the other day and rode around the block a few times when i shut it off and tried to kick it over again I had no compression. If let the bike cool off and had compression back. I am really confused. I have modified it to kick only, so I tried to push start it but that didn't work. The bike didn't even jerk a bit when i popped the clutch out. while riding the bike seemed to be running a bit rich and also backfired in one cylinder when downshifting.

any thoughts on where to start?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

okay i am a newbie but i could not find this problem anywhere on the forums so I'm sorry if this has been posted somewhere already.

I ran my bike the other day and rode around the block a few times when i shut it off and tried to kick it over again I had no compression. If let the bike cool off and had compression back. I am really confused. I have modified it to kick only, so I tried to push start it but that didn't work. The bike didn't even jerk a bit when i popped the clutch out. while riding the bike seemed to be running a bit rich and also backfired in one cylinder when downshifting.

any thoughts on where to start?

:welcome: TM

I think maybe your valves are stuck open for some reason, do you regulary ride the bike or has it been stored? try checking the valve gaps to confirm. other than that loose sparkplugs?

drewps

Thanks Guys,

I have a buddy who is bringing his feeler gauge over this weekend and were gonna check the valves, the bike was running for a summer and then due to unforseen moves/job change etc has unfortunately left it sitting in storage for about a year and a half. I will let you guys know how it goes this weekend. Thanks for the input!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online