Getting Ready For Winter Riding

XT Alan
This post is 7326 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

In a few short weeks, many riders will be putting their bikes away and riding only on those odd days when it doesn't rain and when the roads aren't covered in salt. What a waste!

Hereabouts, from September on, the holiday makers and day trippers stop clogging the roads and the cafes. I get to have Wales all for myself until Easter.

Question: How do you keep your bike looking showroom while riding through the rain and the salt?

This is what I do and it works. Be warned! It takes at least 10 hours to get your bike ready.

1- Clean and polish the bike to perfection. Polish everything: even under the engine and around the rear suspension. Crystal Glo is a great do everywhere polish.

2 - Apply GT Products Protect and Ride Hard Wax to EVERYTHING that shines or might corrode. Paint or dab it on liberally with a kid's painting brush. Every bolt head on the bike for example. It takes ages. So that no shiny bits are left.

3 - Spray/wipe ACF 50 all over the engine and inside all the nooks and crannies. I used to use WD40 which will also do this, but isn't quite as good.

4 - Go for a ride. As soon as you come back put the bike indoors and spray WD40 on to the exhausts (DO NOT BREATH IN THE FUMES). A cloud of WD40 mist will put a protective coating on all the electrics and get to places that you have missed.

If you do this before the bad weather sets in and then wash once a week followed by a spray/wipe of ACF and WD. Your bike will cope with winter and clean up beautifully come Spring. When people see my bikes, they simply do not believe it when I tell them that the bike is used in all weathers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I can totally relate to this! :wink: .....as I've been thinking quite a bit about Winter Prep as of late.

Those are some good pointers there Alan 8) ......& will be well considered when the time comes in the next few weeks :wink:

Just gotta finish my M8's KX that's been in my Garage for a year :shock: ....before I prep the Maxim whilst trying to build a shed roof for my Boat :roll: ......I'm gettin' there :wink:

I'm ready for Winter.....I've fuelled the car up!  :lol:

Riding in the rain will make you a better rider

Didn't you say that to me once? Lead by example you old wimp :wink:

WIMP! :lol:

sorry..i live in a rather hilly area so we have loadsa snow i'm afraid :wink: exup's dont like white stuff :shock:

sorry..i live in a rather hilly area so we have loadsa snow i'm afraid :wink: exup's dont like white stuff :shock:

I live next to the second biggest mountain range in Wales, won't put me off :wink:

:lol::lol::lol: Be careful it dont throw you off Darren!!!

Some good tips there Alan, I use WD a hell of lot in the autumn and winter, as per previous thread WD is king

Just be carefull of fumes on a warm bike and avoid anything rubber - WD increases the rate that it perishes :shock:

I live next to the second biggest mountain range in Wales, won't put me off :wink:

neither would i if i had a hair dryer for a bike and knobbly tyres...makes all the difference :wink:

Didn't you say that to me once? Lead by example you old wimp :wink:

I did it everyday from 71-79 and learnt all I need to know.

It wasn't fun then...and it won't be fun now.

And that's why I keep a piece of shit £400 car in the drive for.

i like to buy a cheap hack for winter. used the tzr last year and will use my suzy ts trailie this year. tbh i like riding in winter more than summer sometimes :shock: all the holiday folks have cleared off, the power rangers are in thier vectra's, an no1's out so i have the place to myself(very selfish :lol: :oops: ) with the right gear on, winter riding is every bit as good and makes you a better rider for it.

back to the subject( :roll: :oops: ) i tend to use a spray grease(cant remember the brand) coat the bike in that. at the end wash it off and you have a lovely clean bike below 8) i done that 2 winters on my rd and it's still mint 8)

You can never stop learning :shock:

Even at your age :wink:

Yes you're so right Darren.

Obviously 70's rain was so different from 21st Century rain in terms of wetness. :roll:

In fact, me and Ren went riding last Xmas with the roads full of snow and ice.

Ask him whether he thinks I can hack it in treacherous conditions.

Cos like swimming, riding a bicycle, and sticking your face in a fan....you never forget! 8)

Obviously 70's rain was so different from 21st Century rain in terms of wetness.  :roll:

The rain's the same, but the tyres and clothing are a lot better. So riding out in bad weather is just as much, if not more, fun than it is in the summer. The only thing which keeps me indoors is freezing fog, which, if you wear glasses makes riding pretty much impossible. Let's face it, even here in the Welsh mountains it actually hardly ever snows.

Winter is the best time of year for me. All the pocket rocket boys (and girls) are tucked up back in fantasy land reading Fast Bikes. The caravans are parked up and the roads are left to us hardy all year round types to enjoy.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online