XS 500 CRANKCASE SPLITTING HELP

Macydee
This post is 5088 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought a yamaha xs 500 engine recently and am in the process of taking it to bits as it was in a bit of a state when I got it.

I am slowly working my way through it and am hoping to end up with a cool looking bike at the end of it.

I have had a few problems along the way as I have never done anything like this before. I have worked my way through them but have hit a bit of a brick wall at the mo.

I am trying to split the crankcase and it seems to be stuck fast. I have removed all the nuts and bolts as far as I can see. I have a haynes manual as but it is for the A series and my engine is a B.

Dose anyone know of anything that I should be aware of or have any tips for splitting the crankcase.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if there is a spot where you can wiggle something thing in between try useing a cheap putty knife and walk it around I wouldn't use one with more then a 2 inch wide blade

if there is a spot where you can wiggle something thing in between try useing a cheap putty knife and walk it around I wouldn't use one with more then a 2 inch wide blade

That's an idea.. am trying it as I type.

Laquer thinner dissolves Yamabond, so see if you can wick some between those case halves.

Been trying the putty knife thing for hours now and am still struggling. I think if I haven't already caused some damage if I carry on I am sure I will.

I just spoke to some guy who's number I got of some forum and he said he is 99% sure it dowel pins that have rotted. He reckons the thing to do is to heat the crankcase up as hot as I can then give it a hit and this should do the trick.

I'll keep you posted.

I use a rubber mallet.

just make absolutly sure all the screws are out ;)