Installing new motorcycle grips

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5064 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

so i was messing with installing some new Gran Tourisimo style grips i bought a while back from mikesxs.

I got the left/brake side grip off with a screwdriver going around the handlebar while putting a lil wd40/oil in with a straw.

the right side throttle tube i see isnt 'smooth', there are little 'ribs' in there and seems like i can't just put in a screwdriver it seems like the left side to get it off...

1. How can i take off the right-side/throttle grip?

Also when installing them, i don't want to use anything fancy/$$$ like grip glue...

I was gonna just heat up the left side for now in hot water and slide it on, but i heard peeps use

alcohol or hairspray or gasoline applied to it before sliding it on (not sure which one is best) so it doesnt slide around in the heat.

2. Which would you use?

3. Once someone answers question 1 (how to take throttle grip off), i then have a question how to get the new right side grip to stick on...

Would i even use hairspray on the throttle side grip? Seems like those ribs will hold the grip... maybe, i dunno.

Thanks for any advice!,

I'm pretty pumped doing small things on my bike during the riding season ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

so i was messing with installing some new Gran Tourisimo style grips i bought a while back from mikesxs.

I got the left/brake side grip off with a screwdriver going around the handlebar while putting a lil wd40/oil in with a straw.

the right side throttle tube i see isnt 'smooth', there are little 'ribs' in there and seems like i can't just put in a screwdriver it seems like the left side to get it off...

1. How can i take off the right-side/throttle grip?

Also when installing them, i don't want to use anything fancy/$$$ like grip glue...

I was gonna just heat up the left side for now in hot water and slide it on, but i heard peeps use

alcohol or hairspray or gasoline applied to it before sliding it on (not sure which one is best) so it doesnt slide around in the heat.

2. Which would you use?

3. Once someone answers question 1 (how to take throttle grip off), i then have a question how to get the new right side grip to stick on...

Would i even use hairspray on the throttle side grip? Seems like those ribs will hold the grip... maybe, i dunno.

Thanks for any advice!,

I'm pretty pumped doing small things on my bike during the riding season ;)

just cut the old grip off with a razorblade or a sharp knife . hairspray work's good if it's real hard to get the new one on

the thing with ribs is ur throttle control and its just a plastic tube so you should be able to just about slide a screwdriver in-between the grip and plastic bit to put a little wd-40 in then pull it off (it will be a bit stiff but it dus come)

when iv swapped my grips i didnt use any hairspray, petrol ect just put a little wd-40 on the handlebar then pushed it on (then after a day the wd40 had evaporated making the grip secure) but the hair spray would be a good idea! :)

Thanks guys, just got back home from weekend...

Friend has an air compressor but thought it would be hassle to get it so I tried a lil' WD 40 right now like suggested and used 2 screwdrivers of opposite sides to peel it off a bit, and then it came off with tiny bit of force.

Looks like the end of my throttle tube (ribbed part) was broken off at the end (so you can see the end of handlebar at the edge), but never affected my riding so no need to replace the throttle assembly part.

Used a lil AQUANET hairspray as i seen suggested online and new grip slid right on (and hairspray should get all dry/sticky by tomorrow so its sticks on).

Thanks guys!