TW 125 VALVE SETTINGS???

This post is 5061 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi

can anyone help me with the valve settings?

the manual says:

inlet: 0.05 - 0.09

exhaust: 0.11 - 0.15

where do i set them?

cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Why do you have to reset them ?

What has happened to your engine ?

Has it got huge milage on it ?

Just wondering !!

its got 24000 and yamaha said it should have a 24000 mile service they also said the tappets sound loud when i took it to them (i got them to come outside and listen lol) so i should book it in they said! but im cheap lol. so im doing it myself... i have done the oil and filter cleaned the carb and air filter new plug blah blah... i just need to know where to set the valves/tappets? cheers

its got 24000 and yamaha said it should have a 24000 mile service they also said the tappets sound loud when i took it to them (i got them to come outside and listen lol) so i should book it in they said! but im cheap lol. so im doing it myself... i have done the oil and filter cleaned the carb and air filter new plug blah blah... i just need to know where to set the valves/tappets? cheers

Your google-fu is weak  :P.

Think this is what you need to do, BUT i don't do/like 4-strokes so i may be completely wrong :o

5038781f.jpg

Vez.

Are ya Good with engines ?

Its a complicated and time-consumin job, not to be taken on by the fainthearted or inexperienced. I have never done it on a bike before but have on a diesel engine.

First off you could check the gap's to see if they are within the spec's. If they are then leave them alone. If the yam garage says they can hear the tappets clicking loudly then maby they do need reseting, but the yam garage would say that anyway --- wouldnt they !

Under the rocker-cover on the top of your engine you will see something the same as in Vez picture.

You check each tappet with a feeler-guage as in the picture, But, as you check each one you need to make absalutley sure the tappet is at the very top of its stroke as the crank is turned over with a spanner on the crank nut. When its at the top of its stroke you should be able to slip in the feeler-guage nice and snug between the tappet and the top of the valve.

First check the inlet valves and then the exhaust valves. If they are within the specs given in your manual then leave them as they are and put back togeather. If not then you have to choices. (1) Do them yourself (2) leave the engine stripped as it is and take it back to the garage, (this will save you a small fortune on labour as the work is allready done for the garage) they can then get straight to work on re-setting the valves. They have sexy lettle guages to tell them when every tappet is at its top, plus the blame lies with them if anything goes wrong with your engine after the job is done. So because of this (me personaly) i would get them to do it for you.

If you still plan on doing this yourself then get some one you know who is good with engines to help you out as it is not the kind of thing someone can help you with through posting like this ---- would need to be there with ya ----- you get what im saying.

After all that, it is not all that hard a job to do, its just slow, time consuming and something you have to get right.

A tell tale sign on the valves being off there settings is, constant white smoke when the engine is warm, the engine being really slugish and making a rappid tapping noise in all rev ranges especialy the high revs.

Anyway hope this helps and good luck with whatever method you take.

God dan that took me ages to type.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online