XVS 650 Dragstar Exhaust

r3reachme
This post is 5212 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I own a Dragstar Custom with a number of after market parts including a set of slash cut exhausts (i think they are Jardine - not entirely sure as they were on the bike when I bought it). They get pretty hot when running the bike and have so far caused a pretty harsh burn to my arm and have melted my girlfriend's trousers onto them.

Recently my neighbour backed into the bike causing some damage to a number of parts including the exhausts. This leave me with a choice between replacing the exhausts with similar ones, or replacing them with factory standard.

I kind of like the sound the customs give and accept that standard ones will not have that. However they will be less faff and stress to have replaced by the garage that are currently doing the rest of the work.

My question is: Will the factory exhausts be any better at keeping cool or will the too be trouser meltingly hot? If they're gonna get hot I might as well stick with some cool sounding custom pipes, but if they stay cool I think I'll plump for the easy and less ear-bleedingly loud route.

Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The factory standard ones come with heat shields attached. On cold days when I stop for breaks, I actually warm my hands up my holding them tight against the shields. They are that cool.

You still have to be careful around the silencers, but it's pretty obvious which parts you can and cannot touch.

There are ways to make the standard pipes a bit louder and there are some custom pipes that come with heat shields. Or, you can use exhaust wrap to guard yourself a bit.

I assume price doesn't matter as the other guy's insurance is paying for it?

Price sort of doesn't matter but also sort of does. Garage could only quote for standard exhaust so thats the price that has been cleared by his insurers. However, if genuine replacements are slightly off that price then I can just submit for authorization of those more expensive parts.

Could you recommend me a custom set of pipes with a heat shield?

Another consideration for me is resale value. I have a sneaking suspicion that when it comes to sale the custom exhausts will make the bike more desirable but don't know that to be fact. Any experience either way on that one?

Thanks again!

However, if genuine replacements are slightly off that price then I can just submit for authorization of those more expensive parts.

Could you recommend me a custom set of pipes with a heat shield?

Highway Hawk or Vance & Hinds are popular choices.

My other half has a set of Highway Hawk straight-through pipes on her Dragstar.

I, on the other hand, have kept the standard ones.

What she did was to get quoted for OEM pipes from Yamaha and then found the custom ones she wanted, second-hand on eBay. This worked out far cheaper and she was able to get a lot more bang for her buck.

Another consideration for me is resale value. I have a sneaking suspicion that when it comes to sale the custom exhausts will make the bike more desirable but don't know that to be fact. Any experience either way on that one?

Not neccesarily.

Regardless of what kind they are - If they're not the exact pipes the buyer wants, then you could lose the sale. I suppose that, at the very least, having completely unmodded OEM pipes at least gives the widest range of options...

Not neccesarily.

Regardless of what kind they are - If they're not the exact pipes the buyer wants, then you could lose the sale. I suppose that, at the very least, having completely unmodded OEM pipes at least gives the widest range of options...

Right on.

Aftermarket parts are so readily available, and vary so much they could actually hurt resale. Personally I want to buy a used, unmolested, totally stock bike. Then have my own way with it.

My strategy is this... Put on what I want, but save all the stock parts. That way when I sell it I can either sell it with the stock parts OR put the stock parts back on, and sell the aftermarket parts separately.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online