81 xs 400 gear selector

DCornelius
This post is 5216 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, i posted earlier about my bike.

Got it running(battery, spark plug.. think it still needs carb work.. but thatll be later)

Anyway, I can get it into first and drive it around the block.. but Im having problems getting to another gear or getting back to nuetral.

After fiddling with it for awhile, i started to realize that the gear selector itself was waaaaaay looser than any other gear selector ive ever dealt with.

Normally, you click down and it snaps back, click up, it snaps back up. etc etc. On this bike.. you snap it down.. it stays down, you snap it up, it stays up. Like waaaay down and way up.

What could be wrong?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So, i posted earlier about my bike.

Got it running(battery, spark plug.. think it still needs carb work.. but thatll be later)

Anyway, I can get it into first and drive it around the block.. but Im having problems getting to another gear or getting back to nuetral.

After fiddling with it for awhile, i started to realize that the gear selector itself was waaaaaay looser than any other gear selector ive ever dealt with.

Normally, you click down and it snaps back, click up, it snaps back up. etc etc. On this bike.. you snap it down.. it stays down, you snap it up, it stays up. Like waaaay down and way up.

What could be wrong?

Take the left rear cover off (where the shift lever goes through). There's a spring loaded return in there. I would guess that something is broken, or stuck.

Take the left rear cover off (where the shift lever goes through). There's a spring loaded return in there. I would guess that something is broken, or stuck.

its on the right side and you have to take off the clutch cover!(after draining the oil)

its on the right side and you have to take off the clutch cover!(after draining the oil)

You're absolutely right. I had a brainfart, and was thinking about the one for the clutch . :banghead:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online