Electrical Frustration.

johnsnownw
This post is 5216 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

What is this?

img1486n.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What you are seeing in the picture is 4 brown wires, 1 Red/Yellow and 1 Red/White wires soldered together.

2 of the Brown wires run toward the front of the bike.

1 Brown wire runs to the fuse box

1 Brown wire goes to what appears to be the Voltage Regulator clip.

Both Red wires go back to the fuse box

Please tell me why this would be?

Also, the voltage regulator that is supposed to be under the fuse box(removed) is not in fact there.

Thanks,

Aaron

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Still no clue and still learning this stuff, but what is working or more importantly not working right now?

Seems there should be a Brown from fuse box to voltage regulator --- you would need one of those, as Drewpy made mention of:

when you get the bike going, run a volt meter on the Batt terminals. you should be getting 13 - 14.5 volts at 3k revs. if not i suspect the voltage regulator first

drewps

Same brown also splits off - toward the front- to the ignition switch; other brown - toward the front - might be the horn.

The red/yellow and red/white might not be the problem; Sounds like soldered together by previous owner?? Hmmm, no idea.

I'd start maybe with getting regulator properly wired in. Again, appreciate expert advise myself on electrical stuff and hope for you to get a knowledgeable solution.

Still no clue and still learning this stuff, but what is working or more importantly not working right now?

Seems there should be a Brown from fuse box to voltage regulator --- you would need one of those, as Drewpy made mention of:

Same brown also splits off - toward the front- to the ignition switch; other brown - toward the front - might be the horn.

The red/yellow and red/white might not be the problem; Sounds like soldered together by previous owner?? Hmmm, no idea.

I'd start maybe with getting regulator properly wired in. Again, appreciate expert advise myself on electrical stuff and hope for you to get a knowledgeable solution.

Yeah, this seems to have been all done by the previous owner.

I would love to test the Regulator, but I have to get the bike started first.

Well, for some reason the battery won't stay properly charged, as it will run down to nothing within 3 days or so. If, after charging the battery fully, I try to start the bike by holding the ignition button down for 3 tries at 3 seconds a try, the battery seems to lose nearly a volt. So, at the moment I cannot get it started.

It should also be noted that the previous owner soldered a solid Red wire that goes into the rectifier clip, to the Red wire coming from the fuse box.

You say your battery quickly discharges after a full charge. Perhaps something is faulty and leaking away to ground, to prove this charge your battery and then disconnect the positive wire. Now reconnect this wire in series through a multimeter with the leads and switch set to read amps x 20.

DO NOT attempt to start the bike like this or you may fry your meter or blow its internal fuse.

You will see if any current is leaking away from your battery and can then start to unplug items to try to find the culprit...regulator rectifiers are usual suspects.

Well, I decided to buy a new battery, even though the first on seemed fine via multimeter. With the new one the bike starts up quite quickly, and continues to start the bike multiple times. So, I believe the first battery was the issue, or a large part of the issue.

Thanks for your help, I'm having another problem which I will start a new post.

Aaron

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online