XS750 Oil Change

Billoster
This post is 5221 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey All,

I just got a 79 XS750 for my first bike and was happy to discover this site as I am sure I will need help and advice along the way.

The bike runs great and needs only a little TLC for the time being.

I noticed after a couple of rides that there is a very small drip of oil from the head, and judging by the color of the oil, I think I definitely need to do an oil change. I went and bought all the goodies, oil, Hiflo filter, pan, funnel etc and was about to get started when I came across a problem. The nut I need to take off to drain the oil is seized up and the walls are stripped as well.

I've heard mixed things about sprays and agents to loosen a seized nut/bolt.

A friend suggested I tap it gently with a hammer and use square vice grips to remove it but I'm wondering if there is a better way with better results. He warned me of the potential to crack the metal surrounding the nut. Also, if I wanted to replace the drain nut, is this a standard fitting?

Maybe someone on here has experience with an xs750 as well and can offer some advice.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to learning about taking care of my bike. We'll see how it goes as I am not at all mechanically inclined... haha

Thanks,

Paul

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online