Any tricks or warnings?

CosmoBozo
This post is 5220 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi!

I recently purchased an XS 650 from a guy that was trying his hand at disassembling and reassembling his toys. He got the dissassemble part right, but fell short of the reassemble. I'm putting the thing back together, and have recently sent the tank out for paint and some minor ding repair. (I got a sweet deal)

I'm new to the forum.... and to reassembly. Anything I should know before I go too far?

He reassured me all the parts are here, but he isn't sure if the tank was factory.

Thanks!

cosmo-

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Err.... not really.

I'd have to see it to be sure.

Get the workshop/Haynes service manual and pay close attention to the exploded diagrams.

If the engine is stripped check the clutch push rod for free play at the seal. If it wobbles about it'll need sleeving to stop the seal leaking all the time.

check the lower oil strainer doesn't have a chunk missing. Its best to modify rather then fit a new item.

new cam chains are tight to get on

Check the electric starter drive gears for wear

Metal swing arm bushes tighten up the handling a little as do taper steering bearings, matched set of bridgestone tyres and a fork brace

There are a few other minor bits but basically its a solid bike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online