1986 fz600

3snotenough
This post is 5221 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

1986 wont start. it has everything except getting gas to spark plugs. I change carburetor needles, fuel filter and lines. I can choke the bike by covering the carburetors and the bike starts sputtering trying to crank but like its not receiving enough gas. I can pull out the spark plugs after trying to flood the bike and the spark plugs are dry as my gfs cooking and ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1986 wont start. it has everything except getting gas to spark plugs. I change carburetor needles, fuel filter and lines. I can choke the bike by covering the carburetors and the bike starts sputtering trying to crank but like its not receiving enough gas. I can pull out the spark plugs after trying to flood the bike and the spark plugs are dry as my gfs cooking and ideas?

is your fuel pump working , remember the fuel tank is lower than the carbs on the fzrs so the pump needs to be working check the fuses , spray some easy start directly into the carbs when trying to crank,if its cough and splutters or starts you no its the pump

cheers

Al

is your fuel pump working , remember the fuel tank is lower than the carbs on the fzrs so the pump needs to be working check the fuses , spray some easy start directly into the carbs when trying to crank,if its cough and splutters or starts you no its the pump

cheers

Al

just read your post again its a fz600 not a fzr600 so its a gravity fed bike

Well if there's no fuel in the line and it's set to on or res then it could cause the engine to not start.. no fuel already there to start the engine means no vacuum to let more fuel flow down right?

set it to prime (pointing to the back of the bike I believe), let it sit for a few seconds and try to start it in that position. If it fires up, set it back to "on". If it dies again then you know you have an issue with the vacuum, be it the carb, vacuum line, or inside the feul tap. If it keeps running then you should be good to just leave it set to "on", even when the bike isn't running - Lack of vacuum automatically closes the flow of the fuel.

install a clear fuel filter in your line where you can see it (no lower fairings) to see if there's fuel there or not. Takes a bit of the guesswork out of it.

Anyways I'd say start with the fuel tap and make sure you're getting a good supply of clean fuel, before we worry about the other stuff

cheers al

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online