125 dragstar

lisa
This post is 5041 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi ,i've got a 125 yamaha dragstar which is 10 yrs old and i bought it 2nd hand,got 2 problems with it. the 1st is that it has quite a bit of pitting especially in the front wheel and i cant seem to shift it,tried a few things but nothing works, and the 2nd is i'm trying to find some touch up paint and the only one i can find is bright,cherry red when mine is quite a deep red,can anyone help please?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi ,i've got a 125 yamaha dragstar which is 10 yrs old and i bought it 2nd hand,got 2 problems with it. the 1st is that it has quite a bit of pitting especially in the front wheel and i cant seem to shift it,tried a few things but nothing works, and the 2nd is i'm trying to find some touch up paint and the only one i can find is bright,cherry red when mine is quite a deep red,can anyone help please?

Blimey, deja vu! Ring up any yamaha main dealer, give them the reg and they should give you the paint code. Then google RS Paints for touching up supplies. I believe that they only made them in one shade of red, mine is code DPR070B, Deep Purple Red, manufacturers paint code DPRC3

Blimey, deja vu! Ring up any yamaha main dealer, give them the reg and they should give you the paint code. Then google RS Paints for touching up supplies. I believe that they only made them in one shade of red, mine is code DPR070B, Deep Purple Red, manufacturers paint code DPRC3

omg thats unreal,thanks for answering cos no-one else seems to be able to help,yeah you're right,mine looks like that red too but mine has white on the side of the tank,i will try you're advice and see what comes up. do you know what to do about the pitting in the chrome?

omg thats unreal,thanks for answering cos no-one else seems to be able to help,yeah you're right,mine looks like that red too but mine has white on the side of the tank,i will try you're advice and see what comes up. do you know what to do about the pitting in the chrome?

Sadly, no. Its where the chrome has flaked off the base metal, and no amount of polishing is going to make it re-appear. Options are - wheel removal and re-plating, new wheel, second hand wheel in better nick. Depends on how much you want to spend and how proud you are about the appearance, there is a trade off here between cost and sensibility. Pitting can be kept in check to an extent by regular cleaning and polishing, but never use anything abrasive ie scothbrite/emery etc.

Might be worth hanging on a few ays to see if anyone else offers any options Ive not heard oo regarding the pitting though.

On mine I took wheels off, scrubbed the rims with vinegar using a cheap toothbrush, rinsed and polished using muc-off miracle shine. Although there was still some pitting it looked 100% better. I then covered it with ACF-50 to give added protection. Whilst it improved the appearance of the wheels eventually surface rust will reappear.

If it's really bad, you can use extra fine wire wool and a load of chrome polish (again I used muc-off miracle shine) and rub the wheels. So long as you keep the extra fine wire wool wet with polish it'll bring the wheels up great.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any way to permenently fix other than those suggested by neversaydie.

Hope this helps?